PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
tried Pease's union square - seems similar to esoterica dorchester which is impossible to get -

union square fans - any other blends by other blenders similar to union square flavor that you have smoked ?

union square has a bit more nicotine than i like - i get the malaria sweats.
thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokertruck, remind me what the major tobaccos are in union square and esoterica

dorchester. I flipped over to SP tinned tobacco, but I missed union square on their

GLP page. There are so many blends now. People who don't immediately recognize

these, or remember their tobaccos might have some ideas with a more generic description.

We're talking about maybe a thousand or two blends that people are choosing among.

Just a suggestion. (Reviewers and other posters, take note. A little info helps people

pick up the question, message, suggestion.)

There is nothing else like Union Square, IMO. But, that depends on how tuned into the flavors you are.

What was it that you liked most about this blend? Maybe we can start there.
Also, if this one gave you the sweats, that eliminates most other pure Virginias, because I never noticed the nicotine being any more than the other Virginias.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's real hard to duplicate a G L Pease flavor profile -- his blends have signatures that are uniquely his own.

Although John Patton's Quadruple Virginia isn't a flake, that's what comes to my mind. (The only Union Square I've

ever had was rubbed-out before I received it as a gift, so the comparison may suffer a bit.)
At any rate, the Quad Virginia is available in bulk, and if you're making a purchase at 4noggins anyway, you might buy an

ounce to try, or just ask Rich for a sample of it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Union Square is one of the purest VAs out there -- I don't know that there's anything at all quite like it. Dorchester has a definite top note that's sweet and apricot-like. But I guess it has some of the same bright VA flavor as Union Square. Maybe what you're looking for is a light/bright VA flake. Union Square has some red VA, too, not just bright, but I wonder if that isn't more or less the flavor you're looking for. Maybe something like Samuel Gawith's Medium Flake would do it for you. But I suspect the nicotine is similar to Union Square.
Others can recommend some other bright/medium VA flakes, but again, the nicotine content is probably going to be similar.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
C&D Opening Night
Check it out....its a great VA flake. I smoke both Union Square as well as Opening Night fairly regularly.
James

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I haven't cracked my tin of Opening Night yet, but clarkj734's comment may give me the needed push.

Like pitchfork, I considered suggesting SG/MVF too, but hedged because of its similar strength.

But that leads me to suggest Capstan Yellow. It's a great light flake that just might fill the bill. And another

that is often overlooked is Sillem's Mayor 1814. To me these are like breakfast flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.