PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've been smoking the pipe for 13 years, and over the course of time I have heard Pease's work lauded by many, but for some reason, though I loved "Cumberland," I never really gave his other blends a good try. But my gaze has now centered much more on his blends, and as I smoke more of them, new favorites occur, namely "Chelsea Morning" and "Quiet Nights." I was going to say that I find them much alike, with "Q. Nights" the larger of the two. I fantasied that they had been released one after the other, but that is not true. "C. Morning" was released in 10/2009 and "Q. NIghts" in 05/2010. It may be true that they share enough of a common blend to say they are thus linked, but whether or not that is true, my palate says that it is.
These blends achieve a savoriness that call to be tasted again, soon. The tobaccos in "C. Morning" are more piquant.
I've written elsewhere about how crazy I am about "Gaslight," easily my favorite latakia blend, at least while I'm smoking it. When I smoke the other two blends in the thread title, or "Nightcap" or "Crown Achievement," I am wowed by them and that claim for the singular greatness of "Gaslight" recedes into the back round.
I find both benefiting from an alliance between the VAs and Orientals. This subtly alters the VAs' taste, pushing them into the realm of deliciousness. Both have enough latakia to satisfy that jones.
I don't know what blending technique has been used to present the latakia in "Gaslight"; suffice it to say that this is the richest, deepest, tastiest latakia that I've smoked. Absolutely enrapturing. Its Orientals would seem to work more closely with the latakia than the VA. The Orientals make a statement that can't be ignored in "Gaslight" whereas they are more integrated in the other two blends.
At any rate I am now prepared to emphasize Pease's blends in my rotation. I have a good amount of "Key Largo" and will probably open it next.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Nice observations regarding the Pease blends. I've yet to try Gaslight, but that wont be long as I have a tin route right now. I've read much about it, and am trying to keep somewhat restrained so I can try have an "unbiased" experience with it.
On a somewhat related note I read much about Early Morning Pipe on these forums in the past and many have praised it's smoking qualities. I tried that as my first non-aromatic about 8 months ago and was COMPLETELY blown away by it's taste. I have since then been going crazy sampling English/Balkan type blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been enjoying a plug of Triple Play. It's a treat, not a rotation blend. It's a little more trouble to cut

and rub, but rewards the effort.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I like the GLP blends a lot. I especially like Westminster. I have some Quiet Nights. It is nice, but a little light. I have to give it some more time.
I do believe that at least the names are aimed at EMP and Nightcap

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
On a somewhat related note I read much about Early Morning Pipe on these forums in the past and many have praised it's smoking qualities. I tried that as my first non-aromatic about 8 months ago and was COMPLETELY blown away by it's taste. I have since then been going crazy sampling English/Balkan type blends.
It appears that you've started down a long, dark road here derfargin. You know the one. The one where the bridge you just crossed has been blown up! You've entered the twighlight zone of tobacciana and the quest for the Holy Grail of English smoking mixtures has you on an endless loop! Que up the evil laugh. Lol.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I wouldn't say that Quiet Nights isn't full but that the quantity of latakia, while in the "full" range, is amply cushioned by the VA and Orientals. The latter two elements combine, to my palate, and are savory and quite delicious.
I'm making up for my neglect of Pease's blends as every one I smoke is at least significantly better than other blends. There is a complexity or lushness to the tobaccos that makes me believe he treats the tobacco components in question differently than other blenders. The savoriness and lushness to the VA/Orientals in Quiet Nights is an example, as is the dense, delectable latakia/Orientals in Gaslight. Stoving? Steam pressing? I don't have a clue. For instance right now I'm smoking Ten Russians. It is a big blend, perhaps on par with Pease Odyssey in this regard. Even if I weren't on a latakia roll, I'd still like it. It easily commends itself to thoughts of buying pounds to cellar. But my budget dictates that if I must make a choice between these Pease blends, the choice is easy: cellar Pease.
There are so few tobaccos that I don't like, and as of today I have three tobacco classifications. Latakia, Pease and all the rest. I smoke a wide variety of tobaccos, and if my palate keeps telling me to concentrate on Pease, I may just rectify my neglect and smoke Pease 80% of the time.

Reactions: UncleRasta

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pease has a certain style, diverse as his blends are. I enjoy his artful blends immensely, but I like to

vary my blenders. It's like reading a variety of authors. The difference in styles informs the different

blends.

Reactions: UncleRasta

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I've just run out of Chelsea Morning, so my current lat hits are Westminster and Gaslight, although there's only a week or so left of those as well. Nightmare! Order for 8oz plus of CM, Gaslight and various others on its way, Mike. Run up the engines!
Andy

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
It appears that you've started down a long, dark road here derfargin. You know the one. The one where the bridge you just crossed has been blown up! You've entered the twighlight zone of tobacciana and the quest for the Holy Grail of English smoking mixtures has you on an endless loop! Que up the evil laugh. Lol.
@settersbrace. Journey indeed sir, I'm happy to be on it. BTW...Twas I that C4'd said bridge. 8)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The place orientals take in my smoking in latakia mixtures is different. For me, the orientals in Gaslight go more with the latakia than the VA, while in Quiet Nights this is reversed. Maybe it's that the orientals, by their uniqueness, are difficult for me to assimilate in a blend; or maybe this is their actual behavior. Thinking about this is fun!

Mar 1, 2014
Turns out most of my apprehension toward Latakia was because the "heavy latakia blend" that I asked for while shopping for my first pipe at a local pipe shop was mostly Burly.

Compared to Gaslight it didn't taste or smell like it had any Latakia at all.
Looking forward to trying Ten Russians and Fairmorn Lancer's Slices.

bryangawith

Lurker
Oct 21, 2014
Excuse me for my bad english, i'm italian. I love Gaslight, wonderful. Chealsea morning and quiet night IMHO are very similiar, but QN it's medium/full latakia blend, CM it's mild. For me Quiet Nights it is really different from Penzance, but i'm a new guy pipesmoker, even two years. Pease it's a master, Westminster,WoW! Abingdon, double WOW! But i don't understand again Odyssey, full extreme for me. Thank you for this beautiful site and for this forum. Greetings from Italy guys! P.S My name is Bryan, i'm 26... Good life at all!!

;)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The VA in Fillmore and Quiet Nights is so good that I've puzzled on how to account for it until just lately, and then it hit me, and I'm so amazed that it took me that long to conclude that they are this good because the tobaccos are two years old and have aged. The tin dates are Fillmore 8/12 and Quiet Nights 3/13, so more than 2.5 years and 2.0 years, respectfully. In fact, the Fillmore had been quite actively fermenting as when I opened it the tin aroma was pungent VA and distinctly barnyard, the latter dissipating rapidly.
To me there is nothing so magical about tobacco as aging. It is invariably most delightful! Smooth smooth smooth, with amplified flavor.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
bryangawith, I think we understand you perfectly! Thanks for your input into this discussion! Good life to you too!

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
@bryangawith: Benvenuto sul nostro forum.
@4nogginsmike: you are onto some fabulous blends from Mr Pease.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I popped my first ever tin of Chelsea Morning on Friday, let some air mingle over it for a bit then smoked my first bowl yesterday while I opened the smoke shop. I smoked it in a machine made bent brandy and although I was a little busy I quickly became enamoured with the blend and the ease in which the unusual cut smoked. Today I got some hot coffee and sat outside to really focus in this stuff. To say its similar to EMP (I typically smoke a bowl of it EVERY day) is not accurate IMO. I'd say it's more like the bigger, better looking big brother to EMP, the nuances I love so much in the Dunhill offering are all ramped up in the Pease blend plus the orientals are more pronounced and balanced. The nuttiness that many speak of at mid bowl is a reality and there's some delectable sweetness coursing in and out throughout the bowl. I did something today that I rarely do and that is to smoke back to back bowls of the same mixture and in this case it was CM. I noticed a subtle difference in the smoking between the two briars but both experiences were heavenly. I may just have a new everyday favorite!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Welcome to heaven in a can settersbrace! I start my day with 2 bowl of CM and coffee, and I end my day with 2 bowl of CM and tea. Greg is the Master! imo

Status
Not open for further replies.