PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
What's the BEST pearl you have learned from this site? (More than one is acceptable, but looking for the one thing you have learned from the community that changed your pipe smoking significantly).
For me ...
@Cosmic stressing that you don't need to put your match or lighter "in the bowl" in order to light your tobacco. I had developed the bad habit of sticking the flame down close in the tobacco, and after he stressed the correct technique of holding it 1/2 inch above the rim and drawing the "heat" down, there was a significant change in my technique.
Sometimes the little things make a big difference. We all continue to learn and evolve our technique.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
For me, the best tip is "Don't smoke Night Cap in anything smaller than a 55 gallon drum!" From this Guy...

:worship:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Drying tobacco is more than waving your hand over it once before stuffing the pipe....
jay-roger.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Okay, then I'll play. Smoke what you want, when you want and how you want.
Oh and Penzance is manure, but cobs are fantastic. One of those is true.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
For years I thought internet friendships were impossible. However the ones I made here are valuable and cherished. It’s a fantastic thing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Someone can always pass a cleaner in a pipe style that someone else can't.
Cheaper pipes smoke worse/as well/ better than expensive pipes.
Almost forgot, cobs smoke better than/worse than every other pipe old, new and yet to be developed.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for the pipe re-lighting technique, as I've been shoving the lighter deep into the bowl to trying to turn that soggy dottle into a fine white ash. See, I'm still learning after all these years!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Pipe smoking raises your IQ (there are even a few of us here on the forum who have nearly reached triple digits).

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mr. 20000 himself, MSO, and Jesse (sablebrush) told me when I was starting out to;
take your time and enjoy the smoke, everything else will follow
single best piece of advice I've gotten, and I've learned everything from this forum.

:oops: I am honored to be a pearl, but most days I feel more like Minnie Pearl, ha ha. My only correction would be that instead of saying that it is the "correct method" that it is one that I have found to merely be better, IMO.
And, as far as Pearls that I have discovered on these forums... I could have a whole suit made from the pearls I have gained here. From Kashmir's posts on breath smoking, to Roths posts on using a smaller diameter pipe to pull more flavors and nuances from Virginias, to Pruss's posts on finding these lemon, orange, hay, and herbal notes in Virginias, to Brian's posts on drying tobaccos to crispy to get more flavors from them, to Jimink's posts tempting me to try new tobaccos, and matching my taste profiles to his to see if I could find the same things as him. Then there's the awesome radioshow... I really could go on and on.
Before I got here, I had smoked bags of (what we call) RYO tobaccos in my pipes and hundreds of packs of Captain Black. I had just found The Briary and met Lawrence (who was a moderator here). So, it really was here that I took off from just smoking my pipe to be smoking to quit cigarettes, to smoking my pipe to discover new flavors and pleasure. Plus, I have met dozens of you guys in person, and many I have developed close friendships with. And, I hope to meet many more of you guys and swap stories and tobaccos in person.
Happy smokes! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.