Lifer
May 23, 2018
national-pearl-harbor-remembrance-day-pic-600x471.jpg

Veterans...Thank you for your service.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
As someone that did not serve, I second this. Thank you so much for your service. I heard part of Presidents Roosevelt's speech this morning on the news..."a day that will live in infamy". God bless you all.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Here's to all of those who serve and who have served, regardless of nation or creed, race or gender, or time; those who have lived and died so that we may count ourselves among the living, and the free. May all those who are gone be honored and remembered, and all those who are living be protected and preserved.
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us”. —Winston Churchill

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There was a time, not so long ago, that newspapers never forgot to prominently remember Pearl Harbor. It's hardly been mentioned by them in recent years. For some, it may seem like it is ancient history, irrelevant to their world as it is currently lived. For the rest of us to whom history is important, it will always be a time to reflect and remember.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Yes, thank you to all, and for the posts above. The Churchill quote especially is powerful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone who has lived on a warship can easily imagine the dark horror of being in the flooding compartments of a ship with fuel oil aflame in the surrounding waters. A solemn tribute to all the survivors and all the lives lost in this military catastrophe. It was a piece of luck and/or grace that the aircraft carriers that were the prize intended targets were all in dry dock or ported elsewhere. The balance in the war at sea shifted radically back during the Battle of Midway when the needed luck and some genius in the admiralty, and astonishing timing on launching planes from U.S. carriers ended the adversary's domination at sea for the duration of the war. Midway is one of the singular great naval battles in history, and certainly of modern times.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
"Remember Pearl Harbor" was the battle cry!! Now days I confuse some people when I say on "Pearl Harbor day" many times I get a blank look. Yes, they are almost always rather young. But still it is very sad.
I believe I read that the last Peral Harbor survivor passed away recently. I have been to the USS Arizona memorial and to say I found it moving is an understatement. Thank you to all Veterans and Active Duty, but on the 7th I give them a special thanks!!

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Unfortunately more people under 40 are now 4 generations removed from WWII.
My grandfather was in the Army Air Force and stationed on the north side of the island (Hickman Field, I think) when the attack occurred. I inherited his photo album from that time period, which includes a small triangular piece of aluminum taken off one of the Japanese Zeros that was downed during the attack.
Remembrance of him is what inspires my pipe smoking hobby.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Midway is one of the singular great naval battles in history, and certainly of modern times.
Right you are, Tom. Definite turning point, & a combination of hard work, skill, good tactics, & just plain dumb luck made it fall our way. The Heston flick made about it is one of my favorites, if for no other reason than Hal Holbrook as Joe Rochefort & Monte Markham as Max Leslie. And it's even pretty accurate, even though there's a lot of criticism about overuse of stock footage & anachronistic ships/aircraft/vehicles. (Probably the most notable, of course, is Matt Garth's supposed Helldiver that somehow magically morphed into CDR Duncan's F9F before crashing into the flight deck. Hollywood must have used that sequence 150 times, at *least*, up to & including Red October if not even since then.Hey, it's Hollywood, what ya gonna do, right?)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is the first year my dad hasn't called and said "hey, don't forget its Pearl Harbor Day. I just checked my local paper, no mention. If you've never been to the memorial, its a day/event you don't forget.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I believe I read that the last Pearl Harbor survivor passed away recently.

Actually five are still alive and are unable to travel to the USS Arizona Memorial. Lou Conter, who is 97 and one of five USS Arizona survivors still alive, said health issues and doctor's orders prevented him from going. The other four USS Arizona survivors are also well into their 90s. They are Lauren Bruner, 98; Lonnie Cook, 98; Ken Potts, 97; and Don Stratton, 96. (source) CBS News

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It would be a good gesture to put out the flag. Next year I intend to. Mine is a sewn ship's flag, smaller than some but reacts nicely in a breeze. That's a good roster of survivors, so thank you for that.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Last night they interviewed a Pearl Harbor survivor Joe Richard, 95, shipfitter whose job was to try and save some of the trapped men. He said they were able to save 33, broke down and said he still hears the knocks coming from the hulls Mr Richard is a resident from St Landry parish, makes you humble hearing his tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.