scloyd

Login to Send PM

Veterans...Thank you for your service.

scott
    Posted 1 week ago #
  2. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

As someone that did not serve, I second this. Thank you so much for your service. I heard part of Presidents Roosevelt's speech this morning on the news..."a day that will live in infamy". God bless you all.

Nate
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

My heartfelt thanks and prayers go out to all our servicemen -- past and present.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A solemn day for sure. I echo the words above.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

Here's to all of those who serve and who have served, regardless of nation or creed, race or gender, or time; those who have lived and died so that we may count ourselves among the living, and the free. May all those who are gone be honored and remembered, and all those who are living be protected and preserved.

“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us”. —Winston Churchill

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a time, not so long ago, that newspapers never forgot to prominently remember Pearl Harbor. It's hardly been mentioned by them in recent years. For some, it may seem like it is ancient history, irrelevant to their world as it is currently lived. For the rest of us to whom history is important, it will always be a time to reflect and remember.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for remembering.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 week ago #
  8. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

Yes, thank you to all, and for the posts above. The Churchill quote especially is powerful.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone who has lived on a warship can easily imagine the dark horror of being in the flooding compartments of a ship with fuel oil aflame in the surrounding waters. A solemn tribute to all the survivors and all the lives lost in this military catastrophe. It was a piece of luck and/or grace that the aircraft carriers that were the prize intended targets were all in dry dock or ported elsewhere. The balance in the war at sea shifted radically back during the Battle of Midway when the needed luck and some genius in the admiralty, and astonishing timing on launching planes from U.S. carriers ended the adversary's domination at sea for the duration of the war. Midway is one of the singular great naval battles in history, and certainly of modern times.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was a sad day in American history.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  12. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Remember Pearl Harbor" was the battle cry!! Now days I confuse some people when I say on "Pearl Harbor day" many times I get a blank look. Yes, they are almost always rather young. But still it is very sad.

I believe I read that the last Peral Harbor survivor passed away recently. I have been to the USS Arizona memorial and to say I found it moving is an understatement. Thank you to all Veterans and Active Duty, but on the 7th I give them a special thanks!!

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyday they strike a new Flag over the Arizona, my daughter was in the Air Force and got me one that they give away to,veterans, I cherish it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately more people under 40 are now 4 generations removed from WWII.

My grandfather was in the Army Air Force and stationed on the north side of the island (Hickman Field, I think) when the attack occurred. I inherited his photo album from that time period, which includes a small triangular piece of aluminum taken off one of the Japanese Zeros that was downed during the attack.

Remembrance of him is what inspires my pipe smoking hobby.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. bnichols23

bnichols23

Login to Send PM

Midway is one of the singular great naval battles in history, and certainly of modern times.

Right you are, Tom. Definite turning point, & a combination of hard work, skill, good tactics, & just plain dumb luck made it fall our way. The Heston flick made about it is one of my favorites, if for no other reason than Hal Holbrook as Joe Rochefort & Monte Markham as Max Leslie. And it's even pretty accurate, even though there's a lot of criticism about overuse of stock footage & anachronistic ships/aircraft/vehicles. (Probably the most notable, of course, is Matt Garth's supposed Helldiver that somehow magically morphed into CDR Duncan's F9F before crashing into the flight deck. Hollywood must have used that sequence 150 times, at *least*, up to & including Red October if not even since then.Hey, it's Hollywood, what ya gonna do, right?)

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, hull scraper, resident enabler, & boss powder monkey.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This is the first year my dad hasn't called and said "hey, don't forget its Pearl Harbor Day. I just checked my local paper, no mention. If you've never been to the memorial, its a day/event you don't forget.

Al

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

I believe I read that the last Pearl Harbor survivor passed away recently.

Actually five are still alive and are unable to travel to the USS Arizona Memorial. Lou Conter, who is 97 and one of five USS Arizona survivors still alive, said health issues and doctor's orders prevented him from going. The other four USS Arizona survivors are also well into their 90s. They are Lauren Bruner, 98; Lonnie Cook, 98; Ken Potts, 97; and Don Stratton, 96. (source) CBS News

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would be a good gesture to put out the flag. Next year I intend to. Mine is a sewn ship's flag, smaller than some but reacts nicely in a breeze. That's a good roster of survivors, so thank you for that.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last night they interviewed a Pearl Harbor survivor Joe Richard, 95, shipfitter whose job was to try and save some of the trapped men. He said they were able to save 33, broke down and said he still hears the knocks coming from the hulls Mr Richard is a resident from St Landry parish, makes you humble hearing his tale.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

We still talk about it in my house. My sons know what it is.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pearl Habor has some historical similarity to 9/11. The U.S. had plenty of warnings but not a good sense of the timing of the threat. Remember, the World Trade Center had been bombed in the basement garage years before. With Pearl Harbor, the admiralty may have been wary and repositioned aircraft carriers for that reason, not just by luck. The Navy was probably restless, but the public wasn't. Some of the aircraft carriers were in dry dock, so they were being kept in readiness, it would seem.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Pearl Habor has some historical similarity to 9/11. The U.S. had plenty of warnings but not a good sense of the timing of the threat. Remember, the World Trade Center had been bombed in the basement garage years before. With Pearl Harbor, the admiralty may have been wary and repositioned aircraft carriers for that reason, not just by luck. The Navy was probably restless, but the public wasn't. Some of the aircraft carriers were in dry dock, so they were being kept in readiness, it would seem.

A while ago I read Will Durant's "The History of Civilization" which is a multi-volume intense series on world (mostly western) history. The first volume, "Our Oriental Heritage" was a history of Asia from the beginning and he concluded the book with an epilogue (written in 1933 IIRC - maybe 1935) titled something like "Why I believe we will go to war with Japan". I can't remember the title exactly as this was 20 years ago, but the point is that a full 6-8 years before Pearl Harbor, this guy was talking about the economic competition between the Empire of Japan and the western powers in the Pacific. It was an interesting read, as a lot of material on the subject addresses it from a position of hindsight, where this one was like reading something like a time capsule.

Posted 6 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mechanic, buckaroo, chasingembers, donjgiles, ashdigger, cranseiron, ron123, zitotczito, blackadderlxx, hoosierpipeguy, samuelgawith01