PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abram35

Lurker
Mar 16, 2012
This is a warning and a recommendation. First, if any of you are thinking of buying one of the pear woods made-in-Ukraine, don't. My experience was awful. Second, if you've considered buying a Mr. Brog, I can't recommend them enough. I have three and they all smoke well. Actually, one of them is oak and is my prize pipe, with a place above both my corn cobs and briars. It's the Vine #28 - light weight, thick walls, deep bowl, smokes like a dream, and is somewhere in the $40 range. You can find them on Amazon.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The reason I never feel like getting one is because good briars can be purchased for $50 that smoke like dreams if you know the right pipes and used ones for that price can be very nice as well, like old System Peterson pipes that need a little restoration work. Savinelli shell pipes are brand new for $50, half that if used.
Not trying to shoot you down, I'm thinking of getting one of the windcap models for smoking in my car for a little added protection. The cheapie windcaps you can buy have no hinges and are a bear to remove. I'm also thinking about one of his churchwardens, but for that price a cobwarden is also available from Walker Briar Works.
When it comes to pipes, there are so many choices, I feel if I had enough money I would probabley get a huge pipe rack and label a pipe for every blend.

abram35

Lurker
Mar 16, 2012
I'm also thinking about one of his churchwardens, but for that price a cobwarden is also available from Walker Briar Works.
If you like cobs, as I do, and are looking for a good cob nosewarmer or a churchwarden for a good price, check out DGE Nosewarmers by Cobcobbler on Etsy.com

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I think I'd rather get a churchwarden from walker, that way I can turn a Great Dane into one, I think that Egg shape just looks cool and it would work on any cob.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Mr.Brog pipes smoke surprisingly well. I bought a couple off of Amazon for cheap.Handy pipe to have in situations where you are concerned about taking a more expensive one on an outing.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I have 2 Brog Pear Wood pipes, they smoke great. I am very happy with them.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have 5 of Mr. Brogs offers, and I do not regret buying any of them. His pipes smoke very well, in fact, as well or better than many so called brand names. I would recommend any one buying his pipes. I actually think they are underpriced.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
You can find them on Amazon.

They're also a sponsor. The list of sponsors is on the left side of the site for those who don't know.

When it comes to pipes, there are so many choices, I feel if I had enough money I would probabley get a huge pipe rack and label a pipe for every blend.

Same here. If I won the lottery, I'd probably drop at least $2,000 the first day on baccy alone.

I think I'd rather get a churchwarden from walker, that way I can turn a Great Dane into one, I think that Egg shape just looks cool and it would work on any cob

I've been thinking the same thing. An egg cobwarden would look great. I just got an 8 inch churchwarden stem for my MM Pony

Aug 1, 2012
I love my Brog Scoot because it smokes very well. Never have a bad smoke out of it. My wife picked it up for my birthday and she said it went at one of his auctions for a fair bit less than normal. My next Brog will be either a churchwarden or a Belfast.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have one of the windcap "Old Army" pipes and I love it. It's smoked great from the getgo. The windcap wasn't nailed on right so I ended up removing it and reinstalling it. Also removed the purple color and refinished it in black. I really love it now; it is totally personalized to me now, even adjusted the bend of the stem. I'd definitely buy another of the low end pears

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I bought a wind-cap version of Mr. Brog, and I can't smoke it. I don't feel that the taste is off, but I can't keep it lit to save my life with any blend. For the price I would be getting a fancy cob from walkerbriarworks. Thhe stem on the Mr. Brog is a softer plastic than what I am used to with standard vulcanite.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I have four non briar wood pipes; 2 cherrywood, a rosewood, an olive wood and a beech wood that I bought over the years, to see how they smoked and for the novelty. They don't get smoked that often, but they are fun to have.
I have heard a lot of good things about the pear wood pipes on this forum. They don't cost much, so sooner or later I will get one to add to the other non briar pipes. From what I am hearing, it sounds like a good alternative to cobs as a pipe for working outside, where you don't want to use a higher grade pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.