PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
I got an email this morning advising that McClelland 2015 was back in stock. I have had three pounds of it on back order since their mid June 25% off flash sale. Checking my account, there was no change in status, so I called customer service and spoke with a very helpful man named sale.
It turned out that because I had paid with PayPal and over 30 days had expired, the authorization news no longer any good and their system has no way to deal with it. Bank cards apparently do not present this issue At any rate,we straightened that out and my 2015 will be shipped Tuesday.
Yes, in an ideal world there could have been better ways to handle this, but I am pleased as I am getting 2015 at what I feel confident is a bargain basement price.
The purpose of this post is to let people who have back orders know of this issue they have with PayPal after 30 days, not start a PCI bashing thread, if which there are a gracious plenty

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
:clap: Good for you man. I use PayPal a lot, but not for online tobacco orders. This is a good reason to me. I'm clapping to thank Oldgeezer for his attempt to muffle the P&C bashing.

Oct 7, 2016
@McTinner, au contraire, the more people avoid PCI, the fewer back orders I will have to deal with. LOL. Actually, I am not a fan boy of any on line merchant (well, I will maje exceptions for Pipestud and Briar Blues). I use them all. But perhaps someone else might be caught in this technical, non obvious glitch.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think many of us are in the "wait and see" camp. We don't bash, but we are very forthright about past difficulties, most of which were solved twenty years ago by other businesses. I mean, speaking as a guy who did mail order in the 90s, of course.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My biggest gripe with P&C was damaged tins. I've started doing business with them again, but only with bulk items.

Oct 7, 2016
@deathmetal, understood after so many (true) horror stories.

But in this instance, PayPal apparently does not offer a way to keep authorizations more or less evergreen after 30 days. Visa does.

I knew the 2015 was backordered when I placed the order, which included other things that shipped out the next day and one item that was backorder but came within a week. And one item remains, 2 lbs of 2035. All shipped for free. All 25% off. As cheap as I have seen McClelland bulk.
I have never liked their combination UPS/USPS shipping, but for free, I will live with it.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"I have never liked their combination UPS/USPS shipping, but for free, I will live with it."
This has always peeved me too. It takes five days, compared to SP's two days. But like you say, it's free so I'll take it.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Everyone is using UPS/USPS, Fedex/USPS, and DHL/USPS

DHL, Delivery Hell Limbo is the worst

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The "Last Mile" is the most expensive in any delivery system. USPS, however, doesn't mind spending taxpayer dollars to subsidize that service, and is willing to lose money in order to keep rates low in an effort to prop up declining mail volume. So UPS et al, not being fools, help them out by pawning off the most expensive part of their business to them. USPS lost $200 million in the first quarter with this doomed strategy.

Oct 7, 2016
@mctinner, the last few orders I have received have shown marked improvement in delivery times. UPS used to send me emails offering to upgrade so they would deliver it all the way, for an additional charge. I never bit, and they stopped sending those mails. Sure enough, I now get my packages more promptly.

Status
Not open for further replies.