PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had a tub of PC's Midtown Chestnut for a while, and it's about a third gone. It's one of Russ O.'s excellent non-aromatics, the only non-aro in the series. I find it unfolds especially well in some of my extra large bowl pipes, a great big Johs apple my wife gave me one Christmas, a Thompson freehand house pipe friends gave me this Christmas. And being moderately priced, this is especially nice for filling big bowls to the brim. I may buy another tub before I am anywhere near finished with Chestnut, but I'm not sure which other blend in the series would suit me best, since they are all aromatic to some degree. I'm thinking of Derby Club, a match with Kentucky Club, the flavoring being whiskey on a nice array of Va, bur, turk and other leaf. Has anyone tried this one?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Chathom Manor and Prince Andrew are really only as aromatic as Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Just barely so. Derby Club has a slight fruit note, but compliments the tobacco well.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Check out Sweet cask. It is not an aro. It has a nice mild to medium Burley taste. It is a good change from Chatham Manor or Carter Hall. I have tried The Chestnut yet.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've tried Chestnut (still have some) Prince Andrew, might have a bowl or two, and Chatham and I think that they're just ok.

Chestnut does have some Latakia so it's a different sorta codger blend in that regard.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Looks interesting.
On P&C the tub looks plastic? Is it? Does it keep the contents well?
Also, it mentions Maryland tobacco in the mix, with which I am not familiar.
Since I'm a "Balti-moron" from birth, I ought to get up to speed.
Anyone care to offer their opinions on Maryland leaf?
I hope this isn't considered a rude thread jack...
Thanks.
Jay :nana:

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The tub has a screw-top, so it's pretty effective at keeping the tobacco moist.

Maryland is a relatively neutral-tasting tobacco. Its primary use in the blend is to help the burning qualities.
Russ

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I agree with Phxrock. I don't think I could describe Sweet Cask as an aro, at least not in the usual sense that I think of an aro.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
When you take off the lid, you'll see a plastic seal. Do not remove it. I open it up just enough to take out a few ounces, and reseal the plastic film because it still works to keep the tobacco fresh.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I got the sweet cask. The cut is unusual. I'm still trying to find the ideal bowl shape to smoke it in. Bigger bowl seems to help and lots of tamping.
The tobacco is decent. It's almost really good... but missing that little punch that I look for. It's not offensive or overwhelming in any way. Well worth the sale price. The Nic seems quite light

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have been well pleased at the keeping characteristics of the tub which is much better than that of the average tin. For my purposes, so far, I think the tub has done as well as a jar after maybe two years. I'm drawn to both Sweet Cask and Derby Club. Since I have some great burley and burley blends, I was thinking Derby Club might serve my purposes better with more different tobaccos (though burley is in there as I recall). Or maybe both blends, though I have quite a stock of tins waiting in line that I like to move forward. Thank you for the good information, and I'm pleased to hear from anyone else; I'm not ordering right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.