PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PC has a discount on Blackhouse, one of its Marquee blends, for $8.59 a tin. This is a complex blend with Cavendish, dark-fired Kentucky, Lat, Oriental, Perique and Virginia. Here's a background text on the back story on the blend:
The second entry to the Hearth & Home Marquee series is the blend that drew attention to these tobaccos - BlackHouse.
In 2011, our master blender, Russ Ouellette, was asked to submit an entry in the Balkan Sobranie 759 Throwdown at the Chicagoland Pipe and Tobacciana Show. Based upon a 23 yearl old sample, Russ developed his blend in a relatively short amount of time and sent it in. When the judging was complete, BlackHouse had won, and people have made it one of our best sellers ever since.

Like Balkan Sobranie 759, BlackHouse contains a good amount of Latakia, bright, fragrant, Orientals, sweet Virginias and a touch of dark-fired Kentucky. To help simulate the effects of long-term aging, Russ included a bit of Perique and unflavored black Cavendish.

Try the blend that put the Hearth & Home Marquee Series on the map. Once you've tried BlackHouse, you'll never want to be without some in your cellar.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I've been sitting on a tin of Blackhouse for several months mso. I may have to crack it open one of these days.
It sounds great.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Very good price and definitely worth having. I think GLP Blackpoint does what BlackHouse is trying to do a little better, but both are quiet fine blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Indeed, GLP does some classy blends. I'm enjoying a tin of Haddo's Delight that aged on my shelf for years. It smelled great in the tin. It took a while to understand and enjoy it, but once I got started, I keep going back. I'm not sure it will make it to a jar before it's gone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
redglow, at the rate I smoke, some tins get aged for years, even though I don't have a deep cellar. I'm always buying something, every two or three months, so I fall a little behind with every TAD, however modest. You don't have to buy ten tins at a shot to buy more than you smoke. I'm enticed by newly discovered blends, and surprised by blends I discover when I prowl through my stash.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I thought it was a decent “meh” but I’d take an English blend made in England before I’d ever reach for Blackhouse any day of the week. Not bad though and the sale price is decent.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I’d take an English blend made in England before I’d ever reach for Blackhouse
It's the sweetness of the Virginia contrasted against the dryness of the latikia that I like so much about both BlackHouse and Blackpoint. Gawith makes many great English blends, as does Dunhill, Rattrays, etc.. but I don't find the VA from those manufacturers to be as sweet as the ones used in BlackHouse/Blackpoint. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but after years of smoking Rattrays and Dunhill, I find the idea of a sweet Balkan new and refreshing.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
An excellent blend. One of those where various flavors come and go throughout the bowl. I'd get more if I didn't already have a bunch. Thanks for the heads up!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I thought it was a decent “meh” but I’d take an English blend made in England before I’d ever reach for Blackhouse any day of the week. Not bad though and the sale price is decent.
What such blend(s) do you like?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think Skiff Mixture is one of the greatest English/Balkan blends ever made (past and present).

Exotique & Margate are some other favorites. I used to be a huge fan of GH&Co’s Balkan Mixture but I haven’t tried any of that one for years.
I think these all have very sweet, creamy and rich VA’s that really make them unique. I also think they use age old blending recipes and secret processes that very few are privy to but yeah, in the end it just boils down to personal taste, really.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I have a 8 ounce tin from Nov-2011 aging in my cellar.
cshubhra, I recently opened a jar from when I finalized the blend in February of 2011 and I noticed that the Latakia had begun to soften. Now, if that sounds appealing to you, let it sit, but if you prefer the full benefit of the smokiness ot the Latakia, I'd crack that puppy open sooner than later.
Russ

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I always wanted to try some aged to see how it changes. I have 20 tins but all are 2 years and younger..

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
So true mso. I probably have more tobacco than I can ever smoke. If I buy any tobacco now, it's usually just to stock up on my current favorites. Not averse to trying new blends though.

On Russ’s advice I opened my tin of Blackhouse. I am glad that I did!
I took it to the dining room to transfer it to a ball jar. My wife immediately complained about the tin note. My son was was watching TV in the living room. He complained - it is smelling bad! So far, so good. The Latakia has not faded.
I loaded it into a pipe and put a light! Oh ... what a glorious smoke. I could understand why this tobacco is so revered. Now enjoying it immensely- I must have opened it at its peak!

Reactions: sonarman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When a tin with Latakia with some age on it is opened, the Latakia can fade fast, so enjoy it while you can. I'm not sure this is a general rule, probably not, but it has happened to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.