PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I received an email from ebay today that I need to get "verified" because according to them, I've almost hit my initial limit. I think that's a crock. What do they care a long as you're using a credit card and pay for goods. Totally stupid and I don intend on giving them my bank account number so it can be linked to my PayPal account.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
You provide your bank information to be verified since it links your address. Before you pay you switch to your credit card linked to PayPal and then the charge goes on your card rather than against bank funds.
I have had a PayPal account for a long time and never had problems.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Giving out my bank account is what I wanted to avoid. I've had fraudulent uses of my credit card before and can imagine what it would be like to have someone hack my bank account so, that ain't going to happen.
I think you can become verified by applying for their Master Card. That's more to my liking and should get you verified without linking your bank account.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
Im bank account verified and also never had an issue. I believe you can pay with a credit card with out even logging in.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Many sellers on ebay and other places only accept PayPal. They don't accept standard credit cards. I don't understand PayPals policies= nor do I follow why the verification process when you use a bank issued credit card you pay off monthly on purchases. The seller immediately gets his money when you use PayPal, you pay the charges when you get the statement so, what's the problem? they want to verify your bank account. If you didn't have a bank account you wouldn't be using a credit card or PayPal. This verification is a bunch of horse s**t.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
The verification is done do that the seller can be sure the item ordered is sent to a valid address. They use the bank account address since in most cases it would be affiliated with a home address.
A person might tend to use a credit card and that might be linked to a non home address.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Colcot I avoided the Bank account crap, don"t give that out lightly, I put a big payment and they upped my limit, you might want to try that. The old cajun

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I wrote them and this was one of the reasons for not lifting the limitations on my account...this is a generic answer and not tied to anything I asked them. Bolt emphasis mine.
C. What if I don't want to verify my PayPal account?

If you don't want to verify your PayPal account, you can still log in to your account at any time to view transaction history and receive money. However, for security reasons, we will not lift your sending limit until your account is verified.

Aug 1, 2012
It wasn't that many years back that PayPal was hacked a few times. I don't mind having my CC on paypal as I won't lose too much if something happens but I will not have my bank account on there because that could cause a lot more trouble.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If you wanted to get around this, you could use a reloadable cash card ( prepaid debit card ) that has a routing and account number just like a bank or a payroll card .....

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
If you wanted to get around this, you could use a reloadable cash card ( prepaid debit card ) that has a routing and account number just like a bank or a payroll card .....
They still want your bank account number. That's what the verification is all about from what I gleaned from them. all the credit cards in the world won't get you verified.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I had Paypal want me to get " verified " awhile back in the middle of a transaction on Ebay. I was sent a letter telling me to get" verified " and also aquire their owm Master Card. I was not comfortable giving out my bank info, I also felt that my bank info had nothing to do with my purshases through Ebay as it was coming right off of my Credit Card. I have found that you can still pay as an " unverified person" through Paypal if the seller has his account setup for a guest to pay. Your address will show up on the invoice, if it does not just fill it in along with other info needed to pay for your item, along with clarifying your address to receive the item bought/won.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've used my Visa many times before going the PayPal route and the invoice always showed my address. That's why I can't see the big deal in all this.

Dec 24, 2012
colcolt - what is the limit if you're not verified? Is it so much per transaction or per month or how does it work? I am verified, because linking to my bank account doesn't personally trouble me. Anybody you write a cheque to would have the exact same information that paypal has (from the bottom of the cheque). However, I'm not trying to persuade you - I know people have different sensitivities over these things and you have to do what ever you are comfortable doing.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I think the limit was $10,000 but there's no way I've spent anything like that and wrote them to that effect. It would take a long time on ebay and other places to rack up that much money.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Same thing happened to me last month. My limit was $5k. I couldn't figure out what the hell they were talking about. I've been a member of ebay for 5 years so I reasoned that I spent $1k a year. Well they aren't getting my bank account either. I already had a bill me later account from another business deal I was involved in so I linked it to that and not a problem since.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Most all sellers on ebay require PayPal, which sucks in my opinion. What happened to using a standard credit card by itself? It all makes no sense to me. I buy stuff often on ebay due to hobbies I have and a lot of it you can't get anymore like reel to reel tape or radio tubes. Even if you find it somewhere else most times it's another PayPal operation. they must be run by the Mafia since everyone seems bent on using them. You can tie their credit card offer to get verified if you like their 20%+ interest rate.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1000 rothnh
I've lived on straight cash for almost 3 years now, thank God. I haven't any cards but I think the interest rate is a non-issue if you pay the full balance every month. I have a bank account solely for having my paycheck deposited into, and for writing a rent check every month because the 250+ unit apartment complex does not accept cash. In the long run, it's less expensive than buying money orders and using the check cashers.
PP is a convenient low-cost CC processor and a ton of people use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.