PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
If you didn't read the thread, a guy on the forum (sjb3, don't even know his real name) recently gave up smoking, and GAVE me his whole stash, maybe 60 unsmoked pipes and 60-70 pounds of tobacco, all jarred and hand labeled. He paid thousands of dollars of his own hard-earned money for this. Just gave it to me. Unreal.
You'll be pleased to hear sandoval is coming over this Sunday morning for his cut, lonestar Ryan Alden will be over in a few weeks for a share, and I wanted to pay back crk69 for Secret Santa-ing me twice, but didn't have the damn postage money, so andystewart just mailed me the postage cash to hook crk69 up, and I made him include extra so I can send him a CARE package too. I don't care if he wanted to remain anonymous, he didn't say as such, and I'm outing him, so there.
That's four deserving people who get to benefit from sjb3's awesome gift. Actually it's five because I'm number five. No wait, it's actually SIX, because my brother-in-law got a cut too. I'm sorry sjb3, but thank you man.
I do not know why pipes attract such generous and kind people; we're all different otherwise, from all places and walks of life, there's just something magical I don't understand, that happens when you carve a dadgum stick into a pipe.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Here's andy's address, phone number and bank transfer info. Ok, just kidding. He's actually sending me money from Essex in England, which is where I lived before I came to the States. If I owned a damn printer, Pay Pal would have been much easier, you can buy postage with Pay Pal, I just wouldn't be able to print the stupid label.
crk69 will be getting paid back because of the generosity of both sjb3 and andystewart. Random-stranger-I-met-on-an-internet-forum sandoval and I get to meet, smoke in the house and party like it's 1999. lonestar Ryan Alden gets to hang out with me, which is priceless right there, get some free tobacco and show off his fancy pipes, my brother-in-law is set for the next five years, and simnettpratt Dave me gets to gorge on Stokkebye flakes and Dunhill Nightcap for the next ten years. And pay sjb3's awesome gift forward.
'Tis a good day.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Simnettpratt, i believe i saved your life in a past life, bought you a new car, won the lottery and gave you my winnings and hooked you up with your previous-life-wife whom you had 5 beautiful children with...Does that warrant me anything in this life??? :rofl: hahahaha j/k brother, it is awesome what you are doing and a truly great and inspirational story that exemplifies the kindness and generosity of the members of the pipe smoking community. What goes around comes around. "Instant Karma's gonna get you", as the late great John Lennon once said, whether good or bad (obviously very good in this case, lol).

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@layinpipe: Where the hell's my new car you bastard?! Just kidding, and don't worry, I'm taking fnord's advice not to fritter away my windfall to the new guy that just wants to expand his cellar and try new blends, this was a gift from sjb3 to me, but am keeping my eyes and ears open for the truly deserving. I've already posted for folks to remember me and NOT to Secret Santa me anymore, unless it's with Scotch. I like Dalmore. :)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I agree, that is what you should do, i do not ask for handouts and feel they should go to the truly deserving. When i can afford decent Scotch for myself, then we'll talk about secret santa'ing you with some, hahaha. I stick to decent bourbon and work on a military base, so i have access to it tax free and on sale a lot of the time.
Hope you are enjoying your so generously gifted stash, take care!!!! :lol: :lol:

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I'm happy to see you paying it forward. Some people might be inclined to hoard it all for themselves, and not even mention the generous gift from sjb3. And it sounds like - if postage money is hard for you to come by - that you are not fabulously wealthy and can easily afford to give this away. You are a good man, and it seems your (and sjb3‘s) generosity is bringing out the good in others. Well done, it is good to watch this story unfold.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@layinpipe: I like bourbon too.
@conlejm: Thanks man. This goes on all the time behind the scenes around here. I have four people I can trust keeping an eye out for folks that might need a little cellar bump. The only difference in this story was the incredible amount of pipes and tobacco given all at once to a broke dude (me). I've been sick for a while and a leech. You lose respect for yourself. I've been pretty depressed and sorry for myself and sleeping randomly 3-4 hours at a time. Since sjb3's gift, I've been plotting how to split it and, for some reason, have been sleeping at night and awake during the day. Those of you who give gifts like this are helping in ways you don't realize.
@peck: Bite Me. Tell you what, you meet me down at the docks with the Scotch. Come alone and unarmed. You set down the Scotch, I'll set down the Nightcap. We'll exchange and slowly walk away. Don't let me ever catch you in my town again.

Dec 24, 2012
@peck: Bite Me. Tell you what, you meet me down at the docks with the Scotch. Come alone and unarmed. You set down the Scotch, I'll set down the Nightcap. We'll exchange and slowly walk away. Don't let me ever catch you in my town again.
Hurtful words. I am wounded by your verbal slings and arrows. I thought you were a generous soul, but alas . . .
:crying:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'm in two minds whether I'm being a weenie posting about the CARE packs I'm sending out; it's called SECRET Santa for a reason. I'm seriously not trying to show off and say, look how great I am, I just think this whole story is awesome and you guys would enjoy hearing about it. I've been a moocher for so long, you get really depressed; now I get to give a bit back I'm all happy. Kind of a Pipe Community thing, definitely not about me, hell, it's not like I'm sharing my last flake, but simply have more than I need right now, so paying it forward is just the right thing to do.
I've got enough for some more CARE packs, broke or unemployed pipers would be ideal. If they are new and/or just like aros, I have pounds and pounds of 1-Q, RLP-6, Very Cherry, Hazelnut, LL-7, HG-2000, HS-3, Half & Half and Carter Hall, and like aros the least of all my stash. It's true the gift was for me, and I'm also a broke and unemployed piper - I have just a few bowls of Dunhill Flake and Orlick Golden Sliced, and I'm smoking those my own damn self, in my semi-fancy new Nording Horn I shall raise to sjb3 with each bowl, but I have more aros than I need right now, and it would be my honor to zap some to folks who would appreciate it.
I'm trying to balance involving you guys in the awesome story, but not pesting everyone with too many posts about the CARE packs I get to send out. There are people on here that have sent, and are sending, way more than I'll be able to send, with nary a peep to the rest of us.
The thing is, when you've been sick, broke and unemployed as long as I've been, and some stranger dumps thousands of dollars in pipes and tobacco on you, it really freaks your world.
If/when I get to send some more CARE packs, should I just keep quiet about it, like most on here do, or is this story so cool I should share with the gang?
PS My bro has loaned me a digital camera, so I am picture capable, and pipers love pics :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes and tobacco have magical powers and make us do and experience unpredictable things. This story is one of

thousands of similar tales of unimagined gain. Okay, okay, enough of that, but what an unexpected windfall and

show of generosity.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What a damn bloody remarkable story. Having said that, Sim, don't be embarrassed about telling your story--how would we know otherwise that such generosity exists anymore? And from our own little brotherhood, too, makes it extra special. I wondered about the same thing when I fell under circumstances where I either gave or received, so don't worry about it. Just hearing about this story lightens my heart, my mood, indeed my health (which is not the greatest), and so is one way of paying it forward. You keep telling your story and don't worry.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I do not know why pipes attract such generous and kind people; we're all different otherwise, from all places and walks of life
Good people setting the example, and others seeing the power of generosity is within their own reach.

Its a great thing to find in this world!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Sir you do whatever you feel is right. If you want to share the love then share it, if you would rather horde it up till you find another soul to bestow the bounty of 20unsmoked pipes and 10lbs of tobacco let me know lol.
in all seriousness im sure shantiques can point you in the right direction of anyone in need of a little gift. He does the free pipe project but has his own commissions to do first and foremost.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@novice: Rest assured I am aware of Dave shaintiques. It's entirely possible a few of my pipes and a stash of tobacco will find it's way to him to ship out for me. Muahahahahahahaha. [rubs hands and strokes cat]
@peck: I went down to the docks last night and waited and waited but you never showed up. You sir, are a man without honor. I gave your Nightcap to a homeless dude in exchange for half a box of Rosé. You suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.