PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I recently had Eric Paulson make me a Devil Anse. It will serve primarily as a pocket pipe, truck pipe and any other time I need a small clincher and will replace the Savinelli Lollo that my dog recently rusticated for me! Since I love the color & grain of antique Ivory I had Eric add a synthetic antique Ivory shank ring. The pictures don't really show the cream color & grain of the ring. It's my idea of what an 1860's Devil Anse might have looked like, if there had been such a thing. I'm very pleased with the final result!
kP0xlEH.jpg

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

PS: This Ace high straight is the closest I've ever come to being dealt a Royal flush. I'll never forget that hand!

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Beautiful pipe, great grain. I had Paulson make me a Canadian and it smokes great. I hope you enjoy yours as much a I do mine.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Did that jack burst your bubble? Would have mine!"
ejames, my heart jumped up into my throat, I think! I couldn't believe it and was just hoping all the other players didn't fold after the flop! Three stayed with me to the river and so I was able to grow the pot a little bit.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"That has to be the nicest Devil Anse I have seen so far! If you don't mind, what did it set ya back?"
Thanks John! If you don't mind I'll let Eric quote his own prices. He was able to source the synthetic antique Ivory for me and was easy to work with. I'll be putting fire to a load of tobacco in it soon but as I said so far I am pleased with the results.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Papipe,
I did enjoy the mini-series very much and have watched it several times. All of that lead me to do some of my own research into the actual feud.
I love the time period from shortly before the American Civil War and the settling of the American West thru the Victorian Era. My wife has said that if there is such a thing as reincarnation then she knows where I came from!
Thanks guys!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
johnnyreb:
Congratulations, Sir, on the acquisition of this pipe. It IS a beauty. Out of curiosity what are the dimensions (width and depth) of its bowl?
The story of the Hatfield and McCoy feud is both fascinating and profoundly sad. As mentioned in a previous thread, I can recommend a book on the subject titled "The Hatfields and The McCoys" by Otis K. Rice, published in 1978 by The University Press of Kentucky.
Here are the protagonists in that saga:
th

William Anderson Hatfield
th

Randolph McCoy

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
That's a very tasteful pipe johnnyreb, your watch and fob chain are beautiful.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks Hunter! I think it will be good for a 40-45 min smoke, maybe. The bowl is just a little bigger than the Savinelli Lollo I had. Here are the specs:
Length: 4.3"

Bowl: 1.6" h x 1.4" w

Weight: 29.6g / 1.04oz

Tobacco Hole: 7/8" x 1.3"

Stem: Ebonite

Stem Ring: Elforyn Synthetic Ivory
Thanks again for the recommendation of the book. I have that on my list for reading this winter, but have not tried sourcing it just yet. If a library doesn't have it, it might be hard to find. There is a website full of info from original family including grandchildren up into the 1970's that is pretty good. I don't have the link handy but easy to find if you are interested.
Thanks again Hunter!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"That's a very tasteful pipe johnnyreb, your watch and fob chain are beautiful."
Thank you reddog! The pocket watch is a fancy dial Elgin, 21j if memory serves me. The hunting case is engraved with a country log cabin scene, front & back. It has a badge for engraved initials but has not been engraved. The chain is made up with brown marbled cow horn tips. I haven't bought anything for a while but I do collect pocket watches & chains.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
That is a beautiful picture, pipe , and watch, I have an Elgin pocket watch Railroad watch they call it, engraved with Doves front and back. The Story about the watch is it belonged to my Grandfather, in the very early 1900s he traded a horse for it, imagine that. He was never without it when he went off the farm. I doted on him and was his shadow growing up. I married in 1965 of Dec, the 11th, 2 days later he died. After we buried him his 3 sons, one of who was my Father came to me and gave me the watch saying he had told them he wanted me to have it. Later I will take a picture of it. Footnote my 65 Christmas was one of the saddest of my life.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I reckon your Granddad got the better end of that deal tbradsim, wonderful story.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That is a great example of a pipe model I covet - the size, shape and look are exactly right, for me. And now I've seen it in the finish I want. The ivory band adds class - congratulations!
Andy

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
johnnyreb:
Thank-you for the information. May this pipe reward you with a lifetime of solacing smokes!
Interestingly, I, too, collect pocket-watches. My first belonged to my maternal Grandfather who passed well before I was born. It is an Elgin, and has a dent in the rear cover of its case. He was a machinist who took good care of his tools, so this is a mystery which mildly haunts me. I've always suspected that there was an interesting tale behind that dent and how it came to be.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Bradley,
I would enjoy seeing your pocket watch when you get around to pictures. It's interesting that you know your grandfather traded for the watch! I have my grandfather's pocket watch as well. It is a nickel silver, open face Hamilton, but not RR certified. I keep it serviced and carry it on two days each year without fail; on his birthday and on his death day.

Status
Not open for further replies.