PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Most of you probably won't know who he was, but to me he was a giant. He was responsible for Savatage's greatest albums, beginning with them the musical phenomenon known as Transyberian Orchestra. In his memory here are two versions of Believe, first heard on the Savatage album Streets, revisited often on following albums by both Savatage and Transyberian Orchestra. In my opinion, one of the most emotionally charged songs of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VqvEGsIvAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_7xevfdixY
Not many songs will bring me to tears but this one often does. Maybe even more so today. Rest In Peace, Paul O'neil.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
I'm a huge fan of TSO's early albums, and I've always considered Paul O'Neill to be a genius. Glad to see another fan of his on here.

Jan 8, 2013
I've always considered Paul O'Neill to be a genius
I agree completely. And it's interesting to listen to basically the slow birth of Transyberian Orchestra with the Savatage albums from Streets to Dead Winter Dead. In fact Christmas Even in Sarajevo is first heard on Dead Winter Dead. It was played during Christmas time as Transyberian Orchestra... and the rest is history. But Savatage wasn't put on the backburner after TSO. Other Savatage albums were later produced as well. He's not part of the band... but I, and I think many other fans consider him part of the band. He did perform with TSO though.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Thank you for bringing him to my attention, anthony, I had not heard of him or those songs before! Good stuff. If you are ever in the area of western PA, let me know and bring those CD's (or albums). I will bring Paul alive for you as you have never heard him before.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I heard that yesterday. He was on Eddie Trunks XM show a number of times and quite a generous person. One of the TSO members was on the show yesterday after the news broke. Sad. I was a Savatage fan back in the day! Still love "Hall of the Mountain King".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOKoLiOkWWQ

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Saw Savatage back in the day open for Testament or Slayer, I forget which. Probably good for fans of Queensryche, Manowar, Manilla Road, etc.

Jan 8, 2013
Probably good for fans of Queensryche, Manowar,
Queensryche, maybe. But far different than Manowar. Depending on the era, I'd peg them closer to Testament, in the earlier years of both bands, perhaps a sort of cross between Queensryche and Dream Theater or Fates Warning later, and then later very much a smaller version of TSO. But I hate trying to compare them to other bands, because they've always seemed to have been a genre of their own in one way or another.... similar to certain bands but at the same time very different.
Saw Savatage back in the day open for Testament or Slayer,
If it was Testament, was it before Alex Skolnick left Testament and joined Savatage or after? That could have been akward :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.