PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you keep your pipe purchases on a budget, patience is often on your side. I hope my memory doesn't lie to me on these, but I've enjoyed some excellent discounts over the years. PC had a Tsuge "tasting pipe," which might have been small or basic in some way, but was a full size straight billiard with a light but intricate blast black finish and tapered stem, for forty bucks. Likewise, they had a Peterson natural (unfinished) quarter bent Dublin with nickel band for $40. I bought Stanwell brushed brown and black pipes from them for $49, but later they had them as low as $19.99. I guess I wasn't patient enough on those. Smokingpipes had a sale, years ago, on Ser Jacopo in which I bought a blast Dublin for less than an estate SJ today. So it goes. But all this takes patient waiting, and enough knowledge of brands, shapes, filters, and sizes to know what you're buying. Not all bargains are in estate pipes, and either way, patience and a little study pay off.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have the patience of a dude who, after emerging from 6 years of solitary confinement, walks into a whorehouse with a pocket full of cash.
So yeah, I usually end up paying full price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes the impulse is part of the joy, it's true. I've done that too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently purchased a pipe for the first time in over a year. I look at pies all the time, but what I look for is hard to find. I know exactly what sizes I like, what weights I like. I never stray from my criteria, hence the long wait between purchases. I know prices very well for the pipes I like and won't go over a certain threshold.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I got three unsmoked Punto Oros in 2017 and paid less than $55 for each of them.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I try to never buy when I "need" something.
So far, I lack specific criteria but enjoy random targets of opportunity.
I'm beginning to feel like all I'll ever need from now on is pipe cleaners and butane.
But...TAD and PAD are odd mistress and master! :worship: :crazy:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.