Patent Dunhill Restoration First Stage (7 pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
This is the Dunny that samcoffeeman posted a bit ago and he graciously agreed to trade it to me for a bit of tobacco. I received it this afternoon and couldn't wait to start the resto. First off, it was grubby. I mean really grubby but with that deep blast what else did I expect? The bowl was also full of long molded away tobacco which actually wasn't too bad to clean. Next thing I noticed was the (as described by Sam) terrible shank repair. What had happened was the shank had broken off exactly at the mortise and it was pretty ragged. Then a gorilla attempted to repair it. The stem however, looks original and is in really good shape. It was a bit stuck but 5 min in the freezer and it slid right out. Then the rim, oh my the rim. It looks like somebody tried to make a Danish-style uneven plateau rim with a lighter, a pipe tool and an ashtray. Should top nicely and leave a fair bit of chamber but man, what a beating this old beauty took. The topping of the bowl should be no problem but the shank repair might only be possible by re-drilling the mortise and I would need a bit of professional help for that bit.
What did I do to it so far? not much yet. First off, I got the stem out. Then, the chamber got cleaned out with a pipe tool followed by a gentle ream with the Senior. Next a bit of shank cake removal with drill bits. That part was easy enough. Then came a bit of time with some Murphy's, a toothbrush and a cloth with a bit of alcohol. I will need to take a couple more spins getting all the crap out of the blast but it's almost there. This might be a pipe that needs a refinish after everything and that's to be expected.
Next steps are to evaluate and top the rim followed by some work on the shank. What do you all think? Should I shorten and re-drill the shank as it doesn't run into the nomenclature and takes off less than 1/2" or should I try to get the shank rejoined? I'm leaning toward re-drilling but am open to suggestions. Any tips or things you see that I'm screwing up, feel free to call me on 'em.
Sorry for the crappy pics. Camera, operator and lighting are inadequate for the job.
Before
dscn2992-600x450.jpg

dscn2993-600x450.jpg

dscn2994-600x450.jpg

dscn2995-600x450.jpg

After.
dscn2999-600x450.jpg

dscn3000-600x450.jpg

dscn3001-600x450.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Looks like it's cleaning up well. I'm anxious to see waht your next steps are. As I see it you have 2 optiones. Cut it or find a silver smith for a more Dunhill looking band. Good luck.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next. I don't think I can offer any insight as to what you should do as my skills haven't extended to hardcore repair yet. If it were me I'd shorten and re-drill it, but trying it for the first time on a Dunhill? Not sure...

Aug 1, 2012
If it gets re-drilled, I believe I'll ask Norwoods or Tim West to do it. That's one I can't do yet but I'll get there someday.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Captainsousie, thanks so much for posting this. I was salivating when I saw this beat up old pipe in Sam's post, and I'm stoked that I get to watch you resurrect it. Keep it coming bro.
As to whether to band the shank or shorten and re-drill... I'm more in the latter camp. First, it gives you something to try, and you can do it in house. Second, you're not into nomenclature so that's safe.
What are you going to do to the rim after topping it? Rusticate it? Leave it smooth? Have fun Stig. She's going to be a beaut!
-- Pat

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks Pat. I will probably keep it natural but I'll see what it looks like when I get it evened out.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
That's a serious project for sure. But it will be very rewarding once complete that's for sure.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Preserving pipe history is very cool. Thanks for taking on the project and sharing the progress. I'd say cut and redrill. The wood at the end looks pretty crumbly. Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.