PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I just got this pipe on ebay, and noticed that this pipe has been patched and it looks to go all the way into the bowl. Thankfully the pipes I bought were not expensive, but the seller did not mention this and I wrote to ask him about it. He actually cleaned these pipes and made them look nice or so he said in his sale listing, so he had to see the spot it isn't the same color as the other parts of the bowl. I was wondering about pipe putty or other materals. Anybody use it? Anybody smoke a pipe that has been filled like this? I'm not too keen on the idea of smoking something out of this pipe not knowing what was used and if this stuff is going to affect the taste of the smoke, or lace it with something unhealthy. Thoughts? Here are a couple of pics of what I'm talking about.
2adb1ff7.jpg

0a60eca8.jpg

ce1c9b64.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Willard right? The Willards were made from the lowest grade of briar that Grabow used for their pipes. Not unusual to see a bunch of putty in one.They are usually good smoking pipes but have stems that are made of a soft material. If that fill goes all the way into the bowl I would think it would get rather hot at that spot. Is it a push stem or an Ajustomatic? I wouldn't cut the cake to thin in this one-if it has any cake.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
hard to say what was used to repair, depends on who filled it ah reckon. i only use tec. steel or of same nature. Had an old no name pipe yrs ago when i only had one pipe at a time. I filled a burn out in it with tec and it lasted nuther yr or so

Status
Not open for further replies.