Passing your pipe collection on to someone like your son.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
There comes a time when you know your time is near and time to cut down on your rotation. So, you give it to someone like your son who appreciates briar, tobacco, and everything about being a brother of the briar. You can pass on the history of each of your pipes to attentive ears. It is a great experience! Don't leave your rotation to your estate. Gift it while alive provided you find the right person.

Nope, I want all unopened tobaccos and all pipes, and my bicycles placed on my funeral pyre. I'm taking them with me.
Yeh, I had to concede adding my dogs and cats... and wife to the pyre. These new "liberal" laws and such. Blah, just pipes and bikes then. Disrespectful pets and wife. Haha!!!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Geez what a morbid subject. Unlike me who has always been able to take or leave smoking at will, my son smoked cigarettes from his late teens to late 20s and had a helluva time quitting, so I'd just as soon he didn't get involved with tobacco again. Otherwise Idgaf what happens to my pipes when I'm gone.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you feel so strongly about it, put such in your will, make the gift legal and binding.
My wee collection of pipes will no doubt go to the land fill as I am the only smoker extant in the family. And, I'm the only one who sees any value in the pipes. None of my heirs would consider old, smelly, used pipes the least bit attractive, valuable or useful. Well, that's not entirely true. I think the sterling fittings might be salvaged should there be enough to make the effort worthwhile.

Yeh, like that life insurance scam. I carry these damned kids till their 18, then they expect me to save up money to pay them something when I'm gone, ha ha ha. Like I care. And, my wife. If she doesn't want to pay our debt when I'm gone, then she should take up some hobbies that will beat me to my smokey grave, like hang gliding, smoking, of fire juggling.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Nope, I want all unopened tobaccos and all pipes, and my bicycles placed on my funeral pyre. I'm taking them with me.
Hopefully you'll live a long life...however if you don't I will be contacting your wife and telling her we had an agreement regarding your pipes and tobacco before your demise. $10 right? You are like a "father" figure to me after all. :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those lucky enough to have an interested son, daughter, nephew, neice, or grandchild who is actively interested and has self-chosen pipes, this is a wonderful idea. I'd pass along a generous number of pipes and some tobacco while you are in the process of recounting their histories, then leave the rest to the same recipient on your passing ...or that's a good way to do it. I would keep a full rotation, and maybe some extra, around while you are alive just as mementos, even if you aren't smoking. They're a circle of good friends. Morbid? No. I'd hope to live longer for having made peace with the possessions in my life. We all tend to accumulate too much, if we are lucky, so may as well leave items to remember us by. I lost my first wife when she was only 52, and carefully posited her jewelry -- some precious metals and gems, some just tasteful and unusual costume jewelry. Friends and family still comment on how pleased they are to have these items, after sixteen years. It nourishes people to be remembered this way.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm passing all of my pipes, tobacco, and liquor to my cat Tivo. She will be the envy of the feline pipe community.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it is important to make arrangements to pass along the cat (or dog, horse, or parrot, etc.). I haven't found god-parents for my three felines, but I should. I expect to outlive 'em, but we don't control that. My much-younger-than-me primary care physician just died suddenly of heart failure -- terrific physician, smart, compassionate, and gifted in several ways. When I got the email, Closing of Practice, I thought it was for the Labor Day weekend. What a shock.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
If you have no one to give them to you can always leave instructions to have them donated to the forum. A member was working an a project to recondition pipes and give them out with tobacco samples to new pipe smokers......shantiques I think.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I lost my son many years ago, all my smokers will go to my daughter to do with as she pleases, she knows what they are worth and there are many that she likes that Im sure she will keep, she is very health conscious and I know she will not smoke em but I know she will do what she thinks is right.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have wondered many times just what the heck to do with my pipes. The problem with my collection is that about half of it is on store displays. What the heck do you do with a display that is over 7' long and holding 108 pipes? The kids think it looks great hanging in my house but I ain't so sure they want it hanging in theirs. I've thought I should just sell it on Ebay one of these days but I doubt there are many out there willing to give much for it--after all, the pipes are just Grabows. The smaller displays might be easier to get rid of.
My youngest daughter and her two daughters are the only family members who have an interest in my pipes and they will get a bunch--those that are special to me and those in my rotation. The rest I need to get off my butt and start trying to sell off what I can or give some of them to some good friends.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
My only fear is that I die and my girlfriend sells all my pipes and guns for what I told her I paid for them :crying:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I don't think this is a morbid subject at all. There comes a point when you have to stop accumulating things and start enjoying what you have. Anything left over should be given to those who might be around long enough to enjoy them.
If you frequent estate sales, antique stores and ebay this point will be made evident. If we don't make the arrangements now somebody else will later.
Take this guy for instance. Instead of his pipe rack hanging in the garage of one of his grandsons, it's on ebay with a starting bid of $9.99 . Which is more morbid?
ghostrack_zpsddb5c8da.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.