Passed up a meerschaum pipe... Was it a mistake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I was at an antique store in Knoxville today and saw a small meerschaum pipe. It had no manufacture markings on it. Just some crude flowers on a vine. It was a billiard with a yellowish green stem. It also had a case that the hinge was broken but said Genuine Turkish Meerschaum. The cost of this item was 12 dollars. Does anyone have any info? Should I go back and pick it up?

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
For $12 if there is nothing wrong with the pipe and you can clean it up to smoke I would say go for it.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
If the thing looked to be in decent shape and drilled correctly, I probably would have gone for it for $12.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The stem is on there pretty tight. Is there a tell tale way to tell if it is legit meerschaum? I have also heard that old Turkish meerschaum pipes can be low quality (not new, Storient). Does that matter when it comes to smoking or is it just aesthetics.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I wish I could. I will only be in Knoxville till tomorrow so it is either purchase or pass up. I will try and find a similar one online. Sorry to trouble everyone for 12 bucks but right now that is a lot.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Here is a picture I found online of one that is similar. This one says pioneer in the case on what looks to be a sticker. There was no sticker in the case instead I saw Genuine Turkish Meerschaum on the outside spine of the case in gold writing.
KGrHqVo0E-wDlhyoeBP7eP6fEQ60_3.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
the flowers look similar but are on the side furthest away from the stem and are carved deeper into the pipe.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I kind of figured it was to cover natural defects. I know carvers of briar sometimes do the same thing. Thank you guys for all the help.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, I'd buy that for $12 no problem. I've got several meers, some better than others, but I tend to enjoy the simpler designs like that or if they have a pattern, something different. I'm not a fan of figure carving for the most part. That being said, there are actually a couple of figure carvings on the Storient site that I am really liking right now.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I'm still waiting for my Meer I ordered from smokingpipes.com july 71h...maybe tomorrow.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
maybe I will. I don't spend much on myself and Friday is my birthday. I try and make it back there today.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Is it a screw, or push tenon? Either way, you should take the pipe apart before you buy it to see what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.