Partial Rustication top-down or bottom-up?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I'm contemplating ideas for a partial rustication of my 3rd homemade pipe... But I have a question....
Why are partially rusticated pipes rusticated from the heel (bottom-up) and virtually no pipes rusticated from top-down as if the rustication is dripping from the mouth of the bowl?
Any ideas or theories?
I've been doing google image searches for partially rusticated pipes and all the pipes seem to be fully rusticated or only rusticated from the bottom with straight borders, or with a dripping pattern like the nordings....

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
There are pipes such as you describe.

I has been referred to as melting wax.

They were referenced quite a bit (seems like) a couple of years ago.

I'm sure there are examples to be found/seen.
Here is an example that I located:

d8468505.jpg

Guys help me out here.

:puffy:

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
That's an awesome pipe Lawrence.I have also seen and a big fan of the Mike Balkovek "Ring of Fire" pipes that are flames coming from the heel with rustication inside.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I'm looking for examples where the heel is smooth and the top is rusticated but the division is natural rather than a straight line like on bulldogs which are usually rusticated on the bottom half and smooth on top. I'm trying to figure out why we can't find pipes rusticated on the top half.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
This is a concept photo I quickly did in photoshop...

The concept is rusticated from top-down in a natural manner rather than a solid straight line of separation between smooth and rustication, but with the rustication on top rather than on bottom.
I cannot find any photos of pipes rusticated in this manner so I cant figure out if it might be worth the attempt to try...
pipe-rustication-concept-600x426.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
MGM pipes were well known for top down rustication, especially the wax drip style. Check out this link for some examples of the style. Here are a couple different top rustications from the Google.
004-008-1407.jpg

004-006-5389.jpg

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I think the last neerup is closest to what I am looking for. Not actually looking for that wax dripping. I was using the dripping to describe the pattern of the cuts not an actual carving of wood to look like wax. Just seems to be not very popular...

Status
Not open for further replies.