PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
As I pack up the house, I find myself going through my other collections. One of those that I love the most is my knife/edged weapons collection. Some of them are handmade and others are cheap little trinkets but all of them have a story. I also have used every one of them for some job, big or small, because I don't believe in having a knife that will never be used. Here's a few of my favorites, hope you like them.
Top of the first pic is one by a guy who lives in Atlantic City, Wyoming. I was up there with a friend and she stopped in to say hi. He had several of his knives displayed and this was the one I could afford. It's not the most refined knife but it does get the job done. Next one down is a Jacobs Customs (yes, I know the controversy but it was priced right and has been a fantastic little skinner) that I got while working the Cowboy Christmas Gift Show in Las Vegas, NV. Bottom is another locally made knife that I got in Jackson, WY while I was working there. It's probably the worst of the 3 but it still works and has memories.

Next down is a Bear MGC that my wife bought for me when we were on our honeymoon. It's got buffalo horn scales and a real damascus blade. Probably one of the nicer knives I have.

Last up is Buck that belonged to my uncle who shared my name. He died right before I was born and this is the thing that was left to me. I didn't get it until I was the same age he was when he died. It's still super sharp and is one of the 2 knives I have that can never be replaced. The other was my grandfather's old Schrade.

Hope you enjoyed seeing them.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice blades, Dave. Thanks for sharing pieces of your collection with us. Packing up a home, and all of its memories, is a daunting task. Thank goodness for little memory jogs, and trips down nostalgia lane to make the job more bearable. Hope that the move is problem free, pal.
-- Pat

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
EE34C6CF-8257-4885-AB1E-CFF641E033EC-2456-0000045B4B74D001_zpsdefcf8a7.jpg
Cap love your knives, not high jacking your thread, but gonna show you one I" m very proud Of my son made this Damascus and showed it to

Me, told him boy that would cut my plug tobbaco damn good. He said its yours Pop. Don't need to tell you how I felt. Now you moving Cap makes me sad and glad you are forgeing ahead in life. Hope you keep active here so we can understand the country you and wife are in.

Aug 1, 2012
Wow. That is just a beautiful piece of work. The lines look great and the grind is spot-on. Is that bone scales on that handle or is it something else?
Your boy really is getting good at knives.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks guys. Pat, it's going well so far but that's partly because my mother-in-law is here helping out. She got most of the kitchen packed while I did my collections and the library.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I have one of those old made-in-USA Schrade lockers as well. What a great knife. Almost 30 years old and its like new. Holds an edge, unlike most modern stainless. It has skinned many a deer, dressed many a duck and rabbit, breasted many a chicken, cut the legs off many many frogs, gutted its share of fish, and even skinned a snake once.
Nice collection.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
God bless caring, supportive, and skilled mothers in law.
I'm glad it's going well, and like Bradley I hope we'll get regular updates from you.
-- Pat

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
"Sharp things" have always interested me. I have a good sized collection as well. Very nice samples of yours! Thanks for sharing them.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks all. Here's a bit more.
First, a knife I made with my dad. This one's done from a VW bus torsion bar with a deer antler for a handle. It's not great but it fits my hand perfectly.

Next one is a Victrinox Swiss Army with mother of pearl scales. It was from my first trip to Switzerland when I was in college. I got that one and one with snakewood scales as well. Both were supposedly only available in that size from the factory store where I got them.

Here's another Victrinox from the factory store. This one's a commemorative of the battle of Näfels. First the box and then the knife.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've collected a few knives over the many years, a few are nice, most are just tools. Here's my go to knife that I use the most, as it sits on my porch in an old pewter ashtray. I found this Schrade Old Timer in the dirt when we started building our house 13 years ago, and have no idea where it came from. I managed to clean the mud out, got rid of all the rust I could, and put an edge on the badly worn blades. I've used it mostly for trimming cigars, and cutting tobacco, but I find it handy for just about anything I need a knife for. But I'll stick to fixed blades or lock blades for dressing animals or serious cutting jobs. The "purdy knifes" stay in a drawer. :)
img_0008-600x469.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.