PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
For my next commission by Michael, I have decided on a shape. I want something that looks like a Comoy Majestic (first pipe below), albeit no silver on this one.

I will update this thread as the commission progresses.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, you already have way too many unsmoked pipes, don't you think you should break some in before you go buying more? I think a conversation with your wife is in order, I am quite sure he has no idea how many pipes you have bought and that you are spending 20k a month on them. My silence can of course bought...for a price.
Can't wait to see how this one progresses, it is very interesting to see the different stages.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Nice Peck. I am also wondering about the silver band. One would think you would get a silver band with the Sinister Six insignia stamped on the side of it.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I am quite sure he has no idea how many pipes you have bought
:rofl:

Peck that will be a beautiful pipe when it is done, keep us informed. I as well would like to know why you opted out of the silver band.

~Ron

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
peck, you already have way too many unsmoked pipes, don't you think you should break some in before you go buying more?
lol!
Congrats on that commission peck, will be very interested to see how it turns out.

Dec 24, 2012
To be honest, I am not a big fan of a silver band on a smooth pipe like this - I just find it a bit too busy. I want the black ebonite stem flowing directly into the stummel in one continuous and elegant motion with the grain (hopefully great birdseye) as the star. My preference.
This will take several months Harris, so I have a lot of time to burn wood.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I will hold off from ratting you out for now, now break in some damn pipes, you can post your progress on this thread to verify to the world you are indeed giving your new pipes the love they deserve. You don't want to go pissing off the pipe Gods now do you?
I think instead of silver, you should go with a nice mother of pearl or maybe abalone shell for a shank treatment. Better yet, don't cheap out, load it up with 1 Karat D flawless diamonds. A couple of rows of those will only add a 150K to the price.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think instead of silver, you should go with a nice mother of pearl or maybe abalone shell for a shank treatment.
I know you're just busting his balls, but if it were feasible, that could actually make for a pretty spectacular pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitch, I was being serious about the mother of pearl and abalone. I have seen pipes with that before and they look awesome. I am sure it is difficult stuff to work with which is why you do not see many of them.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
pitch, I was being serious about the mother of pearl and abalone. I have seen pipes with that before and they look awesome.
No kidding? I searched around looking for pics of pipes with mother of pearl, but I couldn't find any. I agree, then, it would look pretty awesome.

Dec 24, 2012
I have been going back and forth with Michael on this new commission. The debate has been stain colour and shank treatment or no shank treatment. Your input is needed here. Michael says he is happy to put on any kind of shank treatment I want, but in his opinion, the classic lines of the shape look better without it and any shank treatment will just distract from the grain, which is supposed to be the star. As an example, he sent me a similar pipe he just made for someone (in South Africa I believe):

Your thoughts please?
As for stain, I am leaning toward something a little lighter than the stain in the pipe above. Out of the samples Michael sent me, I love the stain on this brandy he made. Thoughts?

Another option would be to go toward a redder stain, like this:

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Asking to make a choice between those two is just plain cruel. I love the masculine look of the top one. You might have to wait until todays football is over for the comments to roll in but I'm guessing bottom one will get more votes.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Peck, I won"t say anything about the color as I like a Black pipe first, mahogany second, but I"m with you bands most of the time take away from the pipe especially a top carver who's art in the pipe speaks for itself IMHO.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
For stain, the lighter stain on the brandy would definitely be period appropriate (not the high contrast, but the color).
I totally disagree about the silver band, though. Some of the classic lines of that period actually call for a silver band -- it's just part of the aesthetic. Silver was practically de rigueur at one point. Yes, the band would disrupt the flow from shank to stem (how could it not?), but that's only a bad thing if you've decided, a priori, you don't like silver bands. I think you will have a more modern looking pipe with no band, but if you're interested in a modern, superbly made pipe with an antique look, give the silver band a second thought.
As for distracting from the grain, if you think of S. Bang pipes, many of them have silver, and I've never thought they distracted from the grain.
Bottom line, it's really a matter of personal preference, but I for one don't agree that "no band" is inherently more aesthetically pleasing. Putting my money where my mouth is, whenever I look for pipes from this period, I specifically look for ones with silver and am far less drawn to those without. Both of my antique pipes have silver and I wouldn't have them any other way.
In any case, Parks will make you a wonderful pipe and I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks for your input. I actually do love the presentation box, mainly because I love that it is completely handmade, and even the dovetails are completely hand carved. What can I say, I'm a whore for presentation boxes. In any event, in the grand scheme of things, the presentation box isn't that expensive. This will be the most I have ever paid for a pipe, so maybe with the box I feel like I am getting something more substantial for my cash (psychological, I know).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
so maybe with the box I feel like I am getting something more substantial for my cash (psychological, I know).
Makes sense to me. Especially if you have plenty of display space (do you keep all your pipes in the barn?). I don't remember where I saw it, but one collector had bought (or had built) a system of shallow drawers -- like you'd have for maps or like the Victorians would have had for their exotic butterfly collection or whatnot -- in which he placed a number of his more valuable pipes. I almost want to say that some of them were in boxes or cases.
Anyhow, this is such fun -- thanks for letting us "help."

Status
Not open for further replies.