mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most pipes smokers need to park their pipe from time to time. Don't want to

navigate the pipe through some activity or another. The best improvised

pipe stand I use is a small ceramic dish or bowl. The size has to accommodate

the bowl of most or all your pipes, so the bit can hang over the edge. The

ceramic aspect makes it somewhat fire resistant, and when not in use, it simply

looks decorative, not like a pipe accessory. Nothing against a regular pipe stand,

or nice pipe ash tray, but for those places where this might work better, it fills

the bill.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My best impromptu pipestand is my watch. Just close/clasp the band into a ring and the pipe just nestles right in there. Besides theres a clock on your phone anyway; the actual surveyed number one use for you cell phone is to check the time.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Like you, I use ceramic bowls quite often to nestle my lit pipe. I have a set of ceremonial Japanese tea bowls that fit the bill nicely. Pipe seems quite secure in this type of anchorage, providing the bowl doesn't get knocked to the floor.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a pipe pillow - looks like a black bean bag chair. Works great and contours around the bowl to hold it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Love the watchband as a pipe stand -- ingenious. The beanbag is a good idea too, if it is not flammable. I too use a small,

no-handle tea cup, Japanese style, but as a receptacle for spent matches. I'm a matches guy, don't use lighters. True or not,

I feel like I'm babying my pipes. All good ideas. I'm sure to imitate them. Maybe empty tobacco tins would work, although

they don't look as pretty without their tops with colorful labels. I also have a hand made pottery bowl I used to mix tobaccos

a few bowls at a time.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I use ceramic spoons like the kind you get at a Chinese restaurant with wonton soup.

Jul 15, 2011
The table in the living room that houses all my smoking gear (matches, ashtrays, etc.) happens to be made out of metal, so I just set the pipe on the table. If it is not a sitter I just lean the bowl up against the glass ashtray. Works well enough.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The watch works great if there is nothing to lean the pipe up against. I have a two-pipe holding ashtray at home that came in an estate lot, which I love despite its gaudy 70s art "design" in the ashtray portion.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I use one of the single pipe holders from Peterson, ceramic with a black glaze. Purchased it at a local B&M for less than twenty bucks, I like it quite a bit. Smokingpipes.com has them right now for $18.00.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
What a good idea. Ceramic bowls. Never thought of that one. I'd love to see a photo of a pipe in the bowl, just to give me an idea of how it looks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have three of these and keep one in every pipe bag, simple and effective. Some guys make them attached to key rings.
These are two I made.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
No pipe tamping! I used it to punch the hole in the strap (leftover piece from an old handbag kit). I bought the retainer screws at Lowes.

snag

Lurker
Jul 30, 2013
Old timing gear out of a Chevy S10. The tamper is a bolt and some fuel line.

86FpdHj.jpg

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8369/20130821_155023-600x450.jpg

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 Roth..ashtray, & BigVan always has to show off his cabana rest, only because you can't buy one! My favorite! :x

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have a leather loop like Al's and I also use a 1940's jadeite ashtray that a single pipe and tamper can fit in. If Den really takes up the pipe, I'll probably loose the ashtray.

Status
Not open for further replies.