Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Paris Pipe Maker Pierre Voisin "A La Pipe du Nord" pipe shop.

(13 posts)
  1. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In a couple of weeks my wife and I will be in Paris for a week. We are renting an apartment a twenty minute walk from "A La Pipe du Nord" pipe shop founded in 1867 and at it's present location since 1936. Artisan pipe maker Pierre Voisin makes pipes in the shop and is now training an apprentice to take over in the future. Here is a video of Pierre Voisin, his apprentice Marie-Aurelie Favre and the pipe shop. A La Pipe du Nord

I will bring home one of Pierre Voisin's pipes.

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jealous! It was closed when I was there. Should be a great visit. Bonne chance!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  3. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to hijack, but when I was in Vienna on my honeymoon I walked past an incredible looking pipe shop, with dozens of pipes in the window, and more in the shop. I didn't go in (I wasn't interested in pipes then), and regret not doing so. This will be a wonderful souvenir of your trip! Of course take some pictures so we can live vicariously through you please.

Posted 11 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I lived in Paris for 4 years, but never went to his shop, which I regret. I think that I must have been to every other pipe shop in the city. You must go to La Civette near the Louvre, and also Les Pipes de Cogolin at 129 rue St Honore. It is a short walk from The Louvre, and they probably have 5000 pipes on display. The pipes are made in their factory in Saint Claude.

Posted 11 months ago #
  5. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've been to La Civette, Les Pipes de Cogolin, and a la Pipe de Nord- Pipe de Nord was closed I think on Sunday and we missed the pipemaker when we went back the next day- you might want to call ahead to make sure you can catch him...:)

Posted 11 months ago #
  6. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This will be a wonderful souvenir of your trip! Of course take some pictures so we can live vicariously through you please.

When we were in Switzerland in 2008 I bought a pocket watch from a watchmaker. Every time I look at the watch it brings great memories, so a new pipe in Paris is a must. Definitely will post a few pictures when we return.
    You must go to La Civette near the Louvre, and also Les Pipes de Cogolin at 129 rue St Honore. It is a short walk from The Louvre, and they probably have 5000 pipes on display.

The apartment we are renting is on Rue du Renard near Rue du Rivoli so we are a short walk to the Louvre. I'll check out La Civette too. Google maps shows 129 Rue Saint-Honore as Body Coach vitamin shop...I'll still look for it. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I've been to La Civette, Les Pipes de Cogolin, and a la Pipe de Nord- Pipe de Nord was closed I think on Sunday and we missed the pipemaker when we went back the next day- you might want to call ahead to make sure you can catch him...:)

I'm going to look for Les Pipes de Cogolin...hopefully it's still there. Calling ahead...great idea, I'd hate to miss him. Thanks.

Posted 11 months ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It may have been La Civette I visited—it was near The Louvre— but their pipe selection had nothing I wanted, and I didn't know squat about the tobaccos I saw. I did buy a souvenir butane- a wee torch lighter that looks formal and business like. Anyone have a photo of it?

Posted 11 months ago #
  8. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice video. Thanks for posting the link.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 11 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

" I'm going to look for Les Pipes de Cogolin...hopefully it's still there."
    -----------------

No, I think that it does not exist any more, it remains only the shop with Cogolin and the web site (It is the mark Courrieu, very old, perhaps even before the pipes of St.Claude)

"At the Pipe of the North" was taken again after the retirement of Pierre Voisin by Marie-Aurélie Fabre, very nice it seems to you, everyone says it well.
    (The shop has just reopened after the holidays)

Posted 11 months ago #
  10. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@armonts. Thanks for the information.

Posted 11 months ago #
  11. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As chance would have it I'm having a first smoke in one of his pipes, while reading this.

Posted 11 months ago #
  12. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As chance would have it I'm having a first smoke in one of his pipes, while reading this

Nice! I plan on smoking one in a couple of weeks.

Posted 11 months ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

French pipes have elevated craftsmanship even from the factory floor, so I can imagine how fine an artisan French pipe will be. They are a proud industry and artistry in France. Most of the British traditional shapes follow French designs. Billiards and eggs seem to have a special lilt when they're made in France, likely others.

Posted 11 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   litup, newportpipe, k9shag, ravkesef, mikestanley, lawdawg, gatorlope, laniromee, nunnster, ben88, pianopuffer