PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I got a new stack chimney at the Chicago show. My intention is to try doing the tobacco parfait thing with this tall dude.
Let’s here some tried and true parfait recipes from those who do this regularly.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I "cut" most aromatics I smoke with a bottom layer of MacBaren Scottish Mixture. I find it to be the most versatile tobacco to pair with others given the variety of leaves found in it. Aside from that I've never done a parfait with any of my other tobaccos.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Parfait - Hit Me
I thought you were going to say someone threw a parfait at you...like Nigel Farage getting hit with a milkshake the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xRm0QXKUE

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Haven't had one in a while. But, the DQ Peanut Buster Parfait used to be on of my faves. :nana:
May be a good weekend to go get one.
As for tobacco, may try an Escudo/GL Pease Odyssey combo coming up next.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Orlik GS on bottom, Dark Strong KY on the top, both rubbed out.
I've tried it the other way around, with the KY on bottom, but find the flavors meld so much better for me when I burn off the topping from the KY first, and then let that smolder into a nice, mild GS finish. Bliss.
I also purchased my first chimney/stack pipe this week, so I am interested in exploring the parfait phenomenon further.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
What characteristics/results are you fellows aiming for when you put together a pipe parfait (versus a single baccy smoke) ? Thanks

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This sounds very intriguing, please keep the recipes coming. I’ve mixed blends together, but have yet to try the parfait.
Thanks Neal for starting, enjoy your new Stack Chimney.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Currently my favorite is 1/8th a bowl of LL Dark red at the bottom, 1/8th a bowl of LL almond next, then fill the bowl with rubbed out PS LNF. It's a real treat if you don't want a "full" aromatic. I think it's a smooth, slightly sweet smoke. I also enjoy taking 1/2 a bowl of Russ O fudgy cake and layering an english on top, I use comoys cask number 11, but any medium or mild english blend should work. Really adds a nice chocolate finish that goes well with the smokey lat.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Stokkebye Norwegian, G&H rope or dark flake of some variety, topped with Norwegian again. Sublime. And you can actually get it lit. :lol:

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
5star.
Sometimes, I like the contrast. Nightcap/Escudo, ODF/Capstan, that sort of thing. Two alikes aren't that interesting to me.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
These are great. Keep em coming.
I did one today: 1/4 Sweet Vanilla Honeydew At bottom, 1/2 Long Golden Flake In middle, 1/4 Sweet Vanilla Honeydew At top. Nice profile. Started out mild aromatic and then mostly natural Virginia, with a finish of aromatic.
I’m going to do something similar tonight with Sillems Black.
I also like Penzance mixed with Rattray Exotic Orange/Passion. I’m going to try a parfait style with that combo instead.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I go for mixes rather than parfait, but if I did parfait, I'd layer strikingly different blends in hopes of experiencing defined transitions, from maybe Virginia on the top, to a strong English or Balkan in the middle, to a sturdy burley on the bottom. Usually with flights in wine tastings they start with the lighter wines and move to the middle and then to the boldest flavor. You might get some clarity using condiment cigar leaf or Cavendish in the middle.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
I've been known to go Solani Tropical Mango Flake on bottom and Gawith Hoggarth Coconut Twist on top. The mango flake thoroughly rubbed, the coconut rope sliced and spun through the coffee grinder, and both well dried before loading the bowl. It's a smoke I really need to be in the right mood for so I only get around to it once or twice a year. Always enjoy it when I do.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I like Burley as the top layer of my parfait, I guess because I like a little Burley more than I like a lot of it.

I feel the same about the codger blends, so Half N Half for instance works as a top layer, too.

Then the next one or two layers can be anything.

But more often than not, a Virginia or VaPer is the next layer in my parfait.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I'll have to agree with pianopuffer and curl. In my hands, this just seems to work better with a good Va. or Va/Per on bottom, the contrast on top.
Ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.