PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Parabola magazine focuses on matters spiritual and esoteric, and often borrows from the arts to impart big ideas. On its website today is the poem below by William Stafford accompanied by a photo you may like.
When I Met My Muse
I glanced at her and took my glasses

off - they were still singing. They buzzed

like a locust on the coffee table and then

ceased. Her voice belled forth, and the

sunlight bent. I felt the ceiling arch, and

knew that nails up there took a new grip

on whatever they touched. “I am your own

way of looking at things,” she said. “When

you allow me to live with you, every

glance at the world around you will be

a sort of salvation.” And I took her hand.
—William Stafford
Photograph: André Kertész, "Mondrian’s Glasses and Pipe," Paris, 1926. Gelatin Silver Print. Estate of André Kertész. Stephen Bulger Gallery

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Killer share, Briarfriar. Love the poem, the site and that wonderful picture.
There are more famous people from Kansas than famous people who actually live here. But we're proud to claim him as a native son.
Thanks, friend.
Fnord

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great poem, interesting site. I recently read Graves’ The White Goddess for the first time...that poem fits right in.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Parabola magazine's website this week conjures forth a gem from its Winter 1989 issue, titled "Triad," that I think you all would enjoy reading. It is a short excerpt from The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk’s Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux, recorded and edited by Joseph Epes Brown. (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1953.)
The pipe also represents the relationship between the people who are participating. The ceremony is a communal thing; it is one pipe that is passed to everyone. It speaks of who we are, in a sacred sense—that we are all relatives. It’s the idea of the joining of all peoples—which is certainly a very real kind of reconciliation, on a very high level.
Click here.
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.