PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
This is a Good one . . . it’s short(30 seconds) - be sure to watch until the end .
http://www.flixxy.com/the-paperless-future-emma.htm

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I also am in the printing industry. Not to worry the government will never go paperless. As recent events have shown.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Also being in the printing and mailing industry the notion of trying to reduce paper so that less trees are cut down is laughable. There has never been a tree in history cut down to make paper. Paper is a waste by-product from the lumber industry and is the most recycled item on the planet. Up here we get charged $2 per bill we receive in the mail to "cover costs" and reduce paper use, the government has been lobbied incessantly to change this but to no avail.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a guy who came of age on a manual portable typewriter with carbons and Correcto-type (PM me if you

don't now what those are) and whose work place and eventually home computer experiences verged on

nightmares (it was so bad I received a small cash settlement for some abuses suffered) my attachment to

paper is its own patriotism. Here I am, online, going along with the present as best I can. But I can't tell

you how wrenching it was for people who didn't grow up with this technology. The techs and training people

came across so smarty pants, even when I knew they were sincere and trying to help. The t-shirt and jeans

brigade supplanting the jacket and tie crew in the cubicles. It was not pretty. Who can live without a computer

for re-writing, but how I miss the percussion solo of late-night writing on my trusty Smith Corona (that's

a company that made manual typewriters in the days of yore).

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
In printing also, heard paperless over 30 years ago. More trees today than when Columbus got lost over here. Greater marketing efforts from the tree lovers (which I am a real one) than reality. More problems from electronic devices than a renewable, natural recyclable product like paper. & paper doesn't crash. Show that to the IRS.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I was wary when I gave up my manual Smith Corona for the electric SC (which I got for free with books for green stamps saved from gasoline purchases back in 1964).

Loaded with trepidation I finally got an Apple in the eighties and have reluctantly learned to use it....more or less.
I don't miss the hours spent trying to fix misspellings etc but the sound of the typewriter brings back so many creative memories. Ah, the past, MY past.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The old culture of submitting material in writing to paper had its plusses and minuses. I think we will lose vast blocks

of history to our technology and its ever-changing platforms. Letters that were simply meant to keep a family far away

informed remain invaluable historical insights. I'm afraid that much less will be left our our electronic trails. They're

good for spying on people and intruding in their lives, but when future generations come to look back on our times,

I doubt there will be as much left, or what's left will be selective and misrepresentative. One technological note: During the

Civil War, the officers were (as always) better off, so they had new-fangled fountain pens for writing letters home. The

ink faded and many of those letters were lost. However, the near-poverty enlisted soldiers just had miserable pencils to

write with, and those old lead or graphite scratchings hold up over the centuries, and those letters have lasted as long as

the paper, which is better than you'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.