Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Paper Insert

(14 posts)
  1. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Every tin of tobacco I've ever bought comes with a paper insert like the one pictured above. I guess my question is, why? Does it serve a real purpose? I confess I don't throw them out when I crack a tin, but I just don't really see a reason for the extra packaging. Hoping one of you wise folks here can tell me what it does.

P.S. Bonus points if you can identify the tobacco in my picture.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 10 months ago #
  2. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

It helps retain moisture in the tin as the tobacco is smoked. Of course it only matters if you actually keep your tobacco in the tin after opening. It's especially helpful in tins larger than the small 1.76 oz and 50 g. tins. I just finished a 14 oz. tub of Carter Hall that has been open for about three months. When the tobacco starts to dwindle towards the bottom, pushing the paperboard insert down on top the tobacco really helps it retain moisture.

Posted 10 months ago #
  3. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Good to know, Lawdawg. I figured it would be something to do with moisture, but I thought the paper would absorb moisture and dry the tobacco faster, if anything.

Posted 10 months ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That makes sense. The more you spread out or fluff up the pieces, the more they dry. As long as I keep the blend in the tin, I keep the paper insert on top.

Posted 10 months ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tobacco is also loaded by weight, and is fluffy when loaded in, so having something press down the tobacco before the lid is applied might help smush it down a bit to make sure tobacco doesn’t get trapped between the lid and the tin.

Michael
    Posted 10 months ago #
  6. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I would have guessed the paper lining helps prevent any transfer of metallic taste to the tobacco. Kinda like the plastic lining inside of soup cans .

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 10 months ago #
  7. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Cosmic's reason is probably also true, and could be the original reason for the paper. Seems like you'd need some sort of barrier to discourage the tobacco from fluffing up over the edge of the tin when packing the tin. My analysis about using the paper to prevent excessive drying is just based on my experience. Also, I think the little cutout finger / thumb tab is there to make the paper disc easy to remove and replace, implying that repeat use of the paper disc is intended.

Posted 10 months ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine was just a guess. But likely, it can serve multiple purposes.

Posted 10 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some interesting observations here. As for the possible moisture wicking of the paper covers, with the McClelland and C&D type aluminum tins, I keep the pop-off metal lid and put that directly on the tobacco, with the paper insert on top of the lid before capping with the plastic thingie. This definitely keeps the moisture in the tin for a longer time.

hp
    les

Posted 10 months ago #
  10. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I'm surprised no one has tried to identify the tobacco in my picture yet.

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. skeeter456

skeeter456

Login to Send PM

Agree with cosmic!

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

The tobacco is also loaded by weight, and is fluffy when loaded in, so having something press down the tobacco before the lid is applied might help smush it down a bit to make sure tobacco doesn’t get trapped between the lid and the tin

I was really surprised the first time I got my hands on a 2 oz. tin at how smushed in the tobacco was. Makes sense you'd need something to do the smushing.

Posted 10 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NC

Posted 10 months ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

EMP?

No one has mentioned the obvious: Advertising! But, you say, most inserts are not printed. True, but once the inserts caught on, no one dares omit them.

OK, the other reasons are better.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, nunnster, lightxmyfire, ben88, pipestud, troyniss, sasquatch, ashdigger, hugodrax, pappymac