PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Yesterday I was smoking a wee pipe and listening to Pandora which has become standard operating procedure (SOP) for me. Then I thought I wonder if I can some Bagpipe music on this thing? Answer is yes! I actually did not think of it before and once I did I thought naw they won't have any. As everyone knows the pipes speak to your soul and mine is listening right now with a small meerschaum filled with University Flake and tis a damn fine morning lads! Feel like a right proper Tamper Peterson!

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
While you were listening, I was playing. Practice every Saturday morning with my band. I agree, beautiful sound. My wife and I both play and my daughters have grown up around pipes and drums. My oldest had 3 waves of a massed bands pass by her during her nap and she didn't flinch. A proper wee lass that one.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Oh Jeez I thought I was finally going to get a bagpipe charm for my pandora bracelet. :(

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
warren, mostly War pipes. But in some of the reels and jigs I do think I hear some Uilleann also.
meatballs, that is really cool. I can't play anything musical but with the pipes I wish I could lol.
bigpond, not very concerned about the DEA, they have been losing since their inception we should just pull their funding as far as I can see.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for the tip! I played Great Highland Bagpipes for years, most difficult instrument I've done - my description is to try blowing up an old-school hot water bottle, squeezing a football under your arm and playing the clarinet at the same time. Fun! Then I got married - that instrument needs constant practice, dedication and a VERY tolerant family. Ended up selling the pipes and using the proceeds for a Dr. Z guitar amp. Never quite got over piping and I still love the music. I'll check it out...

:::sigh::: I have to suffer about twelve guys all practicing bagpipes for some Scottish marching thing about once a week across the street from my shop at the town gazebo. No amount of ear plugs, head wraps, or brain damage will block it out. I've contemplated jamming sharp objects into my eardrums.
And, I for the life of me, have never, ever, ever said, "hmm, some bagpipe music would be good about now." It must be my Welsh-ness, but the vibrations of bagpipes makes me want to kill, kill, kill anyone holding a bagpipe.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I have to suffer about twelve guys all practicing bagpipes for some Scottish marching thing about once a week across the street from my shop at the town gazebo. No amount of ear plugs, head wraps, or brain damage will block it out. I've contemplated jamming sharp objects into my eardrums.
Well-played pipes can be sublime. Poorly-played pipes will make you want to puncture your eardrums with a dull bowling ball. Unlike most instruments, there is no compassionate middle ground.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
My sister played 2 years of clarinet in middle school. Just awful, like drunken geese or something. Bagpipes are more complex and much louder, so they get the win LOL.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Cosmic, I agree w/ Grouchydog, when played poorly they are played poorly.
Grouchydog, did you play w/ a band? If so, where? I'm in Fredericton, NB Canada. Fredericton Society of Saint Andrew Pipe Band. Coincidentally, one of the only other pipe smokers of whom I'm aware is in my band. Its nice to be able to swap bowls after a practice or at a Highland Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.