PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Sorry folks but I have to let off some steam, I have been waiting on my large shipment of H&H Marquee, like many I took advantage of Pipesandcigars.com buy 2 get 1 free sale, and ordered some other blends, a good size order it was. Well yesterday when I came home the box was on my doorstep, the corner was a little crinkled but didn't look to bad, when I opened the box I found 6 tins were bent and 2 Frog Morton cans badly damaged. Now the seals are intact and Im sure the tobacco inside is fin, but like many I keep my tins, not these. now all the tobacco was packed in the box and it looks like they inserted a air pillow packing thing to take up the empty space, the problem is that this air pillow thingy was flat, no air to cushion the tins, that's when I first realize that P&C does not pack their shipments to protect the contents, just to fill the box. The order qualified for free shipping, I guess that means care free of concern to the customer.
This morning I sent a note to P&C customer service, and in the reply the agent apologized and stated that "They made the Fulfillment Center managers aware for the situation", yah I know how that conversation went;
Agent, Hey Bob, some guys shipment got F*$#d up

Bob, Oh! OK, sorry
Now I wasn't there but I bet that's about how it went.
I wasn't expecting any freebies or handouts, P&C did offer to exchange the damaged goods but Im not gona deal with the hassle of sending anything back, like I said, I am sure the tobacco inside is fine, I just realize after many years of business with P&C how careless their shipping/packing is.
I shop with 3 other online shops and will not do business with P&C again, no matter how good a sale they have, other retailers have sales too.
Now that I got that off my chest its time to relax with some Frog Morton and have a beer.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I've had two P&C shipments come to my deployed ship through the military mail system, which is notorious for smashing packages to unrecognizable shapes. In both cases the packaging was fine, and contents inside unharmed. While it is a fair point to bring to P&C's attention so their fulfillment center may make packaging more secure for when the mail and shipping system is less than careful with packages, I also would say it isn't cause for great alarm from the greater public regarding the state of their packages yet to be received.

May 4, 2015
They let you smoke on the ship?
I also would say it isn't cause for great alarm from the greater public regarding the state of their packages yet to be received.
True. I'm just in tobacco doom and gloom mode lately. That's my fault..

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Just to highlight my point, there packing lacks protection of the contents, I have looked back at my past orders and realize the only packing material are flimsy air bags that take up empty space, this keeps the contents from moving around inside the box, the Nording Pipe I ordered during their Fathers day sale was damaged from several tins however the pipe itself was not damaged and I wasn't concerned about it at the time, the order I received yesterday has made me realize the chance I am taking with P&C shipping
The response I received from P&C customer service was appropriate, offer to replace damaged goods, its just a mater of addressing the cause of the issue.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
They let you smoke on the ship?
Yep, we have a "smoke deck" or "smoke pit" topside.
As a little naval/nautical heritage, when we are allowed to smoke, they pass word that the "smoking lamp is lighted(/lit) [in the area of the ship we can smoke, e.g. port side main deck]" and when we cannot smoke they'll pass the word that "the smoking lamp is out." This word originated in the days of sail when ships were wooden and there was plenty of flammable and combustible material that risked the safety of the ship with any unauthorized flame, so there was a designated lamp that was the only authorized source of fire to light one's tobacco to keep positive control of open flames on the ship.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I have to agree, P&C's shipping methods are horrendous. Most of the time I get a box with no packing material at all, just some promotional material. I've had pipe stands broken, tins dented, etc. Wouldn't hurt to invest in some packing peanuts.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Offering to replace the product upon return is a reasonable solution.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is a rare day when I cannot get everything I want from either Smokingpipes or 4noggins. PC prices are no longer lower than their competitors so I honestly have no reason to buy from them any more. I used to throw a ton of money their way before they were bought out by Cigars International. Their packing is a joke and I have no desire to run to UPS and return damaged goods.
They have been told about their shipping issues for over a year now and have done nothing about it. It is obvious to me they just don't care.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
My last shipment that arrived from Pipes and Cigars this week:
Three tins of H&H Viprati and 20 pipe cleaners.
The shipping department used the pipe cleaners as packing material. All 20 bundles of pipe cleaners were bent every which way and smashed together, and the three tins were bashing about loose in the box.
I think the workers at P&C think the end is near and no longer care.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PC gets some unmatchable prices on mid-range pipes. I did receive four tins of tobacco, one of which was dinged. Mostly I've had no problem. They also have Russ O. and his many blends, which are hard to beat. The pipes I've ordered have arrived in good shape.

rwramsey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2014
I've had many shipments from P&C without a single problem, ever. I think they take reasonable packing precautions considering what is being shipped. Valuable pipes are normally packed in their own box. Metal tins are pretty tough. They offered to replace any damaged items, what more would you want? I think your complaint should be about the postal service (or UPS, FEDEX) rough handling of the package.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Yes, Mr Ouellette will be missed, seams there are a few here that have experienced the same as I, if you haven't received a bad shipment then good for you and I hope you never do. Some blame rough handeling of the shipping company, we know this happens, that is why P&C should use PROPER packing methods.
Im standing on principle, Im OUT!

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
On one of my last orders from them I received square tins that looked like someone had tried to twist them into a spiral.

This was not done in shipping and the box was undamaged. It was not the first time I had damaged tins delivered to me from them. I told them if I received another damaged tin in any future orders that I would be purchasing my tobaccos from their competitors.

I also think they no longer care if the customer is well served.

greshapa

Lurker
Jun 16, 2016
Pittsburgh
I make it a point to never order from P&C because they're price gougers. tobacco is almost always cheaper on smokingpipes, especially blends like stonehaven. this just further cements my opinion of them

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
cigrmaster wrote:
PC prices are no longer lower than their competitors so I honestly have no reason to buy from them any more.
I'll have to disagree with you there. I just bought a Tsuge pipe from P&C for $130.00 that is listed at Smokingpipes.com for $170. And I got a 20% discount on top of that. The Savinelli 320 I got from P&C was also much cheaper than anywhere else.
The 100g tin of Orlik Golden slice I buy with every order is also cheaper.
Maybe it just depends on what you buy.
I haven't had any packing problems....yet. I do agree that those plastic air pillows are worthless unless they are on all sides of the box. That I have never seen done. There's usually just one thrown in there to keep things from moving around too much.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Never had any problems with the packing, but my last shipment went all around the country; it arrived in New Orleans, then went to Seattle, then came back to Mandeville through Oklahoma. Never have figured that out, but it was two weeks in transit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have had too many issues with shipping and botched orders from them. Iwan Ries, SPC, and 4noggins gets all my business.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I order from both P&C and SPC and never had any damage in my parcels. SPC does a better job of packing a tight box whereas P&C tends to be a bit loose inside their box. My delivery gal could punt the SPC box up onto my deck and I don't think anything would even move inside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.