Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I preface this by saying that I love pipesandcigars.com, and purchase 75% of all of my tobacco from them, at the rate of a couple of hundred bucks a month. I just want to see them do well. I am not just grumbling to be a negative nanny.
But, does anyone else find the new P&C pipes pages distracting and hard to navigate? I thought they were going to improve their descriptions of pipes. I still have to go to their competitors to find out the chamber dimensions and weights (of which I will buy NO pipe without that knowledge), and while I happen to be on that website, I can (and usually do) just as easily pull the trigger there. So, I hate to see them losing out on pipe sales.
Also, I find it distracting that they use pop ups to show you the different pipes under a given category. My computer constantly asks me if I want to block this action or allow it, when I want to see what a pipe looks like. And, then it happens again if I want to see the pipe under the selection for purchase area.
It seems like they have put up road blocks to keep me from purchasing their cryptic pipes. I really want to give them my money and snag their pipes, but...
Is this an issue for anyone else, or am I the only one that is experiencing these snags?

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I have the same problems. Also when I have called to ask questions about a specific pipe the person I am speaking with can not answer the question and they also refused to go get the specific pipe in question to examine it.
With the above conditions, I buy pipes from their competition.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
When they announced their Crown Achievement/Hilson pipes, I thought I might pick one up. The description/picture mix match was too annoying to go through, and some simply did not match up. IF they thought it was an improvement, they were mistaken. Until the next update, I will continue to buy my tobacco there, and my pipes elsewhere.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Popups are difficult on the cell phone; but I cant imagine it being to awful on the laptop.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Went there yesterday for the first time since the merger/change of ownership for the IPSD deal. I left after 10 minutes of frustration. Site is not what I enjoy browsing on and I wont be going back until I hear about some improvements.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We're working on some refinements, and we are trying to systematically get dimensions and weights on all the pipes, but it will take some time, as we have over 30,000 pipes in stock.

When you go to a pipe brand page, if you mouseover the magnifying glass, the click on it, you'll get a larger image of the pipe, along with details about the pipe.

I'm actually glad to see a thread like this, as it makes it easier for me to go to upper management with your thoughts and concerns.
Russ

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I wish u didn't have to drill down to the individual tin level to see if its in stock or backordered.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Russ, I have to say that -- to my dismay -- I agree with the comments here.
The format creates a real drag on the consumer, in my view. With other, easier-to-navigate sites around, and prices being more or less comparable, it's simpler to buy a pipe elsewhere, I am sorry to say.
More than the web page design -- which seems fixable -- the lack of REALLY knowledgeable customer phone support is, perhaps, an even more serious issue. I know if I call your South Carolina competition at smokingpipes.com I am going to get a guy who can answer my questions. I can only imagine how hard it must be to staff the phones that way, but it seems to me to be an essential functionality for the business.
All this said, of course, with greatest respect to you and gratitude for your tremendous contributions to the pipe world.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I am a long time P&C fan as well but I have to say I agree with the above on this one. I'm just not a fan of the navigation for the pipe photos.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I also agree with the comments made on this thread. I DISLIKE the improvements and will not purchase a new pipe from them until it is changed to a more suitable format.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I do not like the new website at all.

Placed an order this week with a competitor. Sorry P&C you need to make some changes.

I still like P&C. I feel obliged to Russ as their spokesman, and for his artistry with the blends ...and they have great prices and selections of the things that I like.

I just "want" to buy their pipes. It's not that I "won't." But, for as long as I can't see the pipes, nor get the specs on the pipes, it's just too difficult.
IMO, getting those specs done should be #1 priority, an "All Hands on Deck" thing. And, flog that designer into getting rid of the rollover pop up thing that my computer seems to think is a threat to my security, and makes it impossible to make purchases from my phone.

Just my 2 cents.
Make it easy for me to get those babies :wink:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like cosmicfolklore said, "...getting those specs done should be #1 priority, an 'All Hands on Deck' thing."
I think the whole pop-up / magnifying glass thing is tiring for the user. As interested as I am in searching for a nice pipe,

I usually find myself anxious to leave the site ASAP.

Jan 8, 2013
I, too, am in agreement on this one. The site was fine before. At least compared to now. Half the pipes dont have photos, pretty much none have measurements, and all that mouse over stuff is a pain. I work, i usually look at pipes or shop tobacco on my phone during breaks. I could do that just fine on the old site. Now, i just look for shapes I like so I can shop elsewhere for them. Its more like a picture book of pipe shapes than a shop at this point. Im not trying to be mean, but it really needs some attention.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Are some of the issues with site browser specific? I use Chrome with adblock and all I have to do is mouse over the magnifying glass to get view of the pipe. Clicking on the pictures brings up details which is easily closed by clicking on the "X" or clicking on that window brings up an enlarged view. I'm not getting any pop-up warnings.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I quit spending my hard earned money with them long ago and now spend my money with a reputable company in SC with excellent customer service and people who give a sh....... . There I said it ,and I feel much better .

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Huh' - I guess I don't mind at all. New or old versions. Pricing is the most important thing and I just wish there were more specials on tobacco. Pipe details are great as well and I emailed a few times about getting those listed. But if you wish to save money you got P&C but if you need to hold a pipe and talk to a retailer there is always good old brick and mortar.

Status
Not open for further replies.