PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Anyone else order one? My package seems to be caught up in a USPS shipping mess :(
Mine should have been here last week. Hope there's something decent in there!

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
+1 Catyrpelius
Thankfully I wasn't the one who ordered it, it was just a box of crap. I had just gotten my cousin into pipes over Thanksgiving and he was really disappointed with what he got. No way was the bundle worth $99. He would have been much better off buying what he wanted. Hell, I'm not even sure all the pipes he got are made of wood. He said they felt like plastic and they gave him one corn cob. The tobacco was really cheap stuff as well. The whole bundle was probably comprised of the lowest quality stuff that doesn't sell. It's like those old game shows... Don't pick the mystery box.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
It wasn't a horrible deal, it just wasn't as good of a deal as I was hoping.
On the plus side each box came with one of the Stanwell Brushed Pipes, which are pretty good pipes. In 3 my case three of the other pipes were pretty good as well. Unfortunatly the other three I'll probably end up throwing out, they were really cheap and poorly made bent pipes with captian black and things like that stamped on. In a few cases the opening wasn't even round and they came pre chipped and scuffed. Trying to remove the stem caused the stem to seperate on two of the pipes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I ordered the pipe bundle, 3 for $69 or something like that, from P&C. Figured I'd get one half decent pipe along with one or two cheap seconds. The big cigars do something similar with their variety bundles. You might get one or two decent sticks out of a bundle of ten smokes. The rest are no-name brands, or lower end of name brand lines. Smokable but nothing you would stock. Still, you at least get some value for your money.
The P&C pipes I received were all crap. To add insult to injury, all 3 peips were identical crap: same small size, same bent shape, same crappy finish. The scam left a nastier taste in my mouth than the pipe.
I called P&C twice. The first time a woman rep gave me a Latin lesson on the meaning of Caveat Emptor. It was months before I could bring myself to order anything else, and even then it was an advertised offer I couldn't refuse. I called in my order and When I mentioned it another rep, he promised a makeup with my order. The makeup was a 1 oz sample of C&D Briar Fox shipped with my $60 or $70 order of tobaccos. P.T. Barnum would give a knowing giggle if he read this post.
They do ship fast for a comparatively reasonable rate and their tobacco prices seem to be about 10% less than most, or I wouldn't deal with them at all. I doubt if I'll buy another pipe from them. I'll certainly shop first.
Truth is often hackneyed: The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.
Pax

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Yeah, I haven't had very good luck with P&C either. I've placed a few orders with them and something always ends up being screwed up.
On my very first order the samples I chose were all in bizarre portion sizes despite the fact that I ordered the same weight for everything. We're talking like: one baggie almost empty, one with a small amount, and the last one was over double that. At the time I had no idea what 2 oz of tobacco was supposed to look like but I knew something clearly wasn't right. I contacted customer service and they did nothing about it. I acquired a 1.5 oz tin a couple weeks ago and I can definitely tell that I got shorted on what I ordered. Later I ordered a MM Hardwood Diplomat and a couple of wind caps from them. There was something wrong with everything that I received. The pipe and one cap weren't even usable. The other cap was bent just enough that I was able to fix it for use. The complaints go on. All I can say is that I was far more impressed with the single 4Noggins order that I received than all of the P&C orders combined. 4Noggins actually sent a sample pouch of tobacco with my order! I was thrilled.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Last week I did order 5 Lbs of P.S. LUXURY BULLSEYE FLAKE at the P&C under $100 with 15% discount.

They send me 3 box of 1.5 Lbs and a 8 oz bag. I got that in a three days.

All my experience with P & C are always very good.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
When I started smoking a pipe I ordered a starter kit from 4noggins which included a random pipe, a pouch, pipe tool and a either 2 or 4 ounces of a random Captain Black tobacco. This cost about $30-35.
I got a Medico Viscount Briar Pipe ( my travel pipe, I love it, it's my workhorse that gets knocked about and doesn't cop a scratch ) and the tobacco was Captain Black - White, I didn't mind the tobacco at the time but it's not my go to type of tobacco anymore. If I still had some I would be adding Cuban cigar leaf to it.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Its not worth the bother of returning... What are they going to do, send me three more crappy pipes? I don't want to return the whole bundel for a refund and I feel that I got my money worth, it just would have been a better deal if those three pipes were better quality. Hell, 3 more MM pipes would have been a drastic improvement.
I think I'll just chalk it up as a learning experiance and no longer order any blind box deals.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I saw that and a little "birdy" said don't do it, so I didn't. Seems the "birdy" was spot on. To good to be true seems right on this one.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Got my box and was rather disappointed, until I opened up the Stanwell. It's listed at $49 but I think I like it so much it'll end up being worth the $99 for the kit. I won't be buying any blind kits anymore, but I'm not sore about getting this:
http://img.pipesandcigars.com/p/500/pm/p/pm-pswbhk-86-r.png
It's super lightweight, excellent shape, good drilling, takes a cleaner easily, good bowl size.
It's a new favorite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Part of this habit/hobby is the learning curve. That's part of the enjoyment, but also part of the challenge.

You get what you will study and learn about and concentrate on. You can get outstanding pipes for $40,

and mediocre or poor ones for hundreds, so you have to pay attention. As some of the posts suggest, you

can luck out and get something worthwhile ordering blind, but as a matter of principle, you probably

shouldn't. To get what you want, you have to learn about it, compare retailers, read about it, and finally

take your best shot. As you see from reading Forums, pipes do tend to accumulate, so there's no point

in ending up with pipes you don't want cluttering your racks and your life. Even when you donate a pipe

to a friend or a good cause, you want to donate one you'd be proud to smoke, not a cheesy one you want

to unload.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I realized early on that P&C might require a certain diligence on my part when ordering their merch.

I had just begun reading from this forum and there was a thread about P&C using off brand cobs as incentive.

Thereafter, I regarded P&C incentives with close scrutiny. My take is that these folks had good intentions and got stuck themselves. Yeah, rather than give them away with purchases they would have been better served to dump them.

They probably have someone in purchasing right now who's job is at risk for hooking them up with inferior briars utilized in the 'bundle'promotion.

I think their tobacco prices, shipping and customer service are just fine, from my own experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.