PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acbernsen

Lurker
Apr 20, 2014
Hi all, I'm new here, but I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the new Pipes and Cigars (including SPC and NYPC) tins that are made of cardboard with metal tops and bottoms, and a plasticky liner painted onto the cardboard? I have recently purchased a bunch of these thinking they were metal tins and am very concerned about the agabilty of these tobaccos. Thanks for any advice.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
33a6lc2.jpg

acbernsen

Lurker
Apr 20, 2014
I think, but I'd have to check the bills, that It would have been cheaper to buy bulk instead of the tins. Not sure of this,though.

acbernsen

Lurker
Apr 20, 2014
I like P&C, I just don't know why they would start the cardboard thing without telling anyone (maybe they did and I just missed it). But cardboard.....come on....please.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Just put it in jars. Mason jars are great for cellaring and the swing tops are good for your daily smoke.
Even if you leave them in the tins it should be ok though. I doubt Russ would sell his products in a substandard container. Hell, he may even pop in.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
"Started"? I haven't been buying that long myself, but that type of tin is pretty standard for U.S. pipe tobacco producers, as I understand it. I think it was Sutliff that just announced that they would be producing European-style metal tins for a new line, with new equipment that they'd just purchased.

May 31, 2012
Welcome aboard acbernsen, good to have you here.
I'm one who prefers aging in tins as well, and the cardboard tins are lousy, I can't believe they actually use them.
Our man dragonslayer has been vocal on this issue in the past, he calls them "rolled tin" containers, I guess that's the correct term, if you pull one apart it makes sense. Supposedly there was an update to correct certain issues, the main one being the silver bottom tins having a tendency to rust, I think now they're gold or something and coated too?
But still, cardboard?

Really?
I'm withya on that.
Here are some old threads talking about some of the issues...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sutliff-tin-question-for-cellaring
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-theory-behind-aging-tobaccco
...and this dragonslayer quote from last year just about says it all:

" It’s already shown problems in manufacturing with P&C. This is all out of the hands of the tobacco manufacturer and they use different production companies which all have their own standards. Seams, bottom crimping, coatings, chemical reactions and the human factor all vary. Anything in these containers for long term should be jarred for the simple reason of the unknown. "

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cellaring-system-small-vs-large-jars
As a side topic, this brings up to my mind the differences between American and British tobacco packaging of the past, you ever notice we never come across any vintage American tobacco that has been well preserved? It was never a consideration. Sure, you can get lucky with an old Edgeworth "cowboy" style hinge lid wrapped in cellophane, but by and large we won't have a chance to sample what a really old American tobacco was like...
...but in England they invented the finest form of tobacco packaging ever known to man, the cutter top knife lids, and they were an invention borne out of necessity, Great Britain was actively engaged in expanding an Empire and needed a reliable storage method to withstand vast travel and adverse weather conditions - that style of tin lasted more than a century, but sadly it's just too expensive nowadays, same thing with lithography.
Shitty artwork and crummy cardboard, yay!

:lol:
A note from your friendly neighborhood semi-curmudgeon pipeman.
Apologies for the bad rambling and over-romantic yearning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Canning jars are the answer, once you take delivery of the tobacco. I guess the question is, how does the tobacco do

while it is still in wholesale and retail inventory. The OTC brands long ago went to cardboard/foil cans with metal tops

and bottoms, and a plastic snap top once the can is opened. Probably because of the dressing, these tobaccos seem to

last indefinitely, even opened. In any case, don't give up on dry tobacco, much of which smokes well dry, and most of

which can be revived with simple humidifying. But for storage, jars are good.

Are we 100% certain that the OP isn't confusing the rolled tins with cardboard? I have seen about a dozen posts since the beginning of the year where someone has said that Frog Morton or GLP had used cardboard, but they were merely mistaking the rolled tin with rolled cardboard.

If so, then I find it hard to believe that Russ didn't pitch a fit over that. Saving a few pennies on material, verses mak8ing their blends more ready to be aged, especially when they have jacked the prices of other blends in high demand seem silly.
Anyways, I would never buy a tin when I could just buy a five pound bag anyways. Maybe they sell less tins than bulk?
One of the things that makes Sutliff products seem like a bargain basement product have been those tins of there's. Well, that and the fact that they practically give their product away at every event they can. They are like the Kia of tobaccos.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Just put them in Mason jars, as has been said. Tins are expensive, and one of the ways that P&C controls the price so that we can all have access to good tobacco inexpensively is to package them this way. If you want to cellar it, put in in a jar. I emailed Russ about this a while back and he said they should be ok for a year or two, but for long term cellaring they should be in jars. That isn't too difficult, and the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.