Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Any comments on this? Of all the codgers, Sugar Barrel was one I never got to before it was gone. How was it, and how's the new incarnation...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review, Weezell:
When you see the tub and read the description, you'll know this is a replacement for the recently discontinued Sugar Barrel. This version is a thicker plug cut burley than the original with a slightly brighter Virginia small flake cut. The Virginia has the same minor grass and sweet notes as the original. Sweet Cask is slightly cinnamon spicier than the original. The original is a shade more brown sugary and buttery. This tobacco burn a little slower than the original and keeps a consistent flavor to the finish with no bite and hardly any moisture, though the burley in the original tended to be just a little less obvious at the end. I give this three stars, which is a star more than I rated the original Sugar Barrel, because I think it is a cleaner smoke with a little more flavor.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks Jim! I bought a tub of Anglers and found it had to much of the cinnamon or something in there I did not much care for. How's this compare?...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The cinnamon is lighter than it is in Angler's Dream. I'd guess less than half the amount. I like AD though I like it moistened. If you smoke it dry, you'll get a little less cinnamon. Have you tried that?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
weezell, I will probably try Sweet Cask, even after noting JimInks description of the differences. As for the other Mid-Town blends, I may try those meant to copy an otherwise extinct blend. I will not, however, purchase copies of existing blends. The old codger tobaccos are a dying breed, and I want to support them under their original brand names.
One caveat: Half & Half, SWR, and Velvet are all now Scandinavian Tobacco Group brands. I still buy them and enjoy them in my cobs, but I favor John Middleton's Carter Hall and, to a lesser extent, Prince Albert.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Weezell, if you smoke PA, and are worried that's a big tub you've gotta buy to try sweet cask, pm me. I'll swap you 1/2 a tub, give or take, of PA for 1/2 a tub of the sweet cask if you decide to give it a go. I, like you have been interested in the sugar barrle, but never got around to ordering any. The PA has only been open about a month. I just don't find myself reaching for it as much as I thought I would after I smoked my first pouch.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Out of curiosity, is the Sweet Cask the same as the P&C Sugar Barrel MATCH blend? I just jarred 8 oz. of the latter, but haven't had a chance yet to smoke any to compare with the original Sugar barrel, so a big thanks to Jim for the comparative review.

Status
Not open for further replies.