PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
I thought I'd show off a pallet board pipe rack I created if your wives are Pinterest fanatics, lol. I had bought some material from Home Depot to make one for my pipes but then got back to work and saw the dilapidated wood pallet next to the door. I took a slat, took a handsaw, got a long dowel from the Home Depot materials, and went to work on it with my Dremel tool. I stained it with some walnut stain and there she is.
708_10151500779330081_1231068117_n.jpg

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks, man, I thought it would add to it's already rustic quality. It cost next to NOTHING to make

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Never heard of pallet wood being impregnated with anything. I live in an area of the ozarks where there are a lot of pallet mills and they just take raw timber and cut it into planks and then assemle the pallets, no chemicals of any kind used.
Plus once you seal the wood with poly or some other sealer, I don't think that would be a problem at all.
Nice work on a rustic type pipe rack by the way.

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks, guys! A 1/2 inch dowel cut in 3 or 4 inch sections worked perfectly as the bracing. I'm about to make another and will be drilling holes through the top rather than grooves to hold a bit more securely. They rest just fine in this one, I would like a bit more security on some of my more high dollar pipes. I'd love to see what you guys come up with if you make your own out of something!

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Very nice. Ive never been too good with my hands, so I enjoy the posts of handmade racks, pipes, etc. on this site. Again, great job and the best of luck with future projects my friend.

Dec 24, 2012
I like to see when people have the skill to make something like this. The only thing I can do with my hands is open up my wallet. Just not a handy guy.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
+1 roth, but these are usually "heat treated" pallets and used only for export shipments. The International Plant Protection Convention mandates that wood packaging used in international trade must be treated to guard against the distribution of unwanted pests.
I worked international shipping for many years. Dealt with this all the time.
-Jason

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Very nice results. You shaped the bottom "hollows" with a Dremel? Great work. I'd thought of trying this but hadn't considered a Dremel for that work.

ajonline

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
Yea it's not very hard with the rough sanding tool on the highest setting. With enough control it was shaping those hollows like butter

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the old guy behind me (80+) is always picking up free pallets from one of the businesses in town and building bird houses & feeders that he gives away to anyone that will put them up..

Status
Not open for further replies.