PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Hi guys :)
Is it possible for one's palate to change significantly all of a sudden? My 3 blends are Orlik Golden Sliced, Old Gowrie and Mississippi River (at no. 1). Mississippi River is still my fav and tastes/smells the same with same level of enjoyability but the other two have changed for me so much that I don't wana smoke them! All I taste is bitterness from these two now...or is there something in Mississippi River that's tripping me?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I lose my appetite or taste for certain blends all the time. That's probably why I have so many open jars "in the rotation", as they say.

It could be that the Latakia in Mississippi R. is making the Virginias seem dull by comparison -- but that's ok, just smoke the M.R.!

I'm at a loss to explain why you've lost your taste for both OGS and Old Gowrie. I would have thought the Kentucky in Gowrie would have held your interest. Could it be that you're just smoking too much? Consider switching to a blend that has more body or is stronger -- like Russ Ouellette's Fire Storm.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
I'm not smoking too much at all - just 1 to 3 bowls a day...I'll try Fire Storm! Thanks

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I mostly smoke burley and sure it happens from time to time, but don't worry your tastes will return. When my tastes change I usually smoke up a lot of my aromatics for a day or two and that will bring me back to my burley blends after that.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
+1 to a change up in your line up. Its like having turkey dinner with out cranberry sause, or watching your favorite show over and over. Palette needs a change.
Try smoking something realllly crappie. Show your pallet who's in charge.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have this happen quite often. I just switch to something else and then go back to whatever it was later. I have also have things go nasty on me and never return to nice though.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I often switch back to Prince Albert when this happens. My wife calls it a "tobacco brownie" when I bring home the little red package. For whatever reason, I really enjoy this blend, probably because I am a primitive atavism of a former time. However, it also resets the taste buds, not just in the tongue but in the brain.
Another thing that happens is that periodically my ability to notice and distinguish flavors improves. When that happens, sometimes former friends go to the back of the rotation, some -- so far -- on what looks like a permanent basis. Had I gone to OGS from my early Aro days, I might have called it a favorite at that time.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Great feedback/info. Thanks guys! What is your absolutely fav blend? I just can't get enough of Mississippi River...perhaps it's the quality of tobacco in this blend that's very high?

Status
Not open for further replies.