PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm sitting here semi-enjoying a bowl of My Mixture 965 and I began ruminating, quietly as I'm the only one in the room (a bit scarey as it was a full two sided conversation), as to how much better or worse a tobacco would taste if I hadn't pretty well destroyed my taste buds with fifty years plus of smoking.
I can't evaluate a "quiet" white wine any more. I stick to robust reds.
Tex-Mex has to be a lot spicier these days to get any punch on the tongue. I make the mistake of over seasoning the pork rub now and then to the displeasure of the wife and my daughter. Beef has to be grass feed for me to find any flavor.
Subtle flavorings in well prepared meals are totally wasted on my calloused tongue.
My dentist, an anti-smoker who accepts my failings with good humor, reminds to brush my tongue when I brush my teeth. This helps a bit.
I do envy those people new to the pipe who were not smokers in their youth, as I also envy the piper who limited himself to a couple of bowls in the evening and still tastes the sometimes, very subtle flavor of certain blends. I need, nay I crave, the full flavor of a heavy latakia or perique laced blend. I'm betting that over the years I've quicky dismissed some fine blends after only a bowl or two.
As I said, just musing as I sip a cognac and a Peterson before slipping into my Dr. Denton's, brushing tooth and tongue, and toddle off to bed.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Sorry to hear that, Warren. My grandpa smoked since he was 12. pipes and cigarettes. He always put a good amount of salt&pepper on his food so he could taste it.
Some toothbrushes come with a tongue scrubber on the back. I think it works better than just using the brush.
I've been hunting around on this site for info on palate cleansing. I found an article last week that I can't seem to find now. The author was a latakia lover, and was trying to gain an appreciation for VA, VA/Per blends. I think he didn't smoke latakia for about a week, only VAs or VA/Pers. It worked for him. He said it gave his palate time to pick out the nuances of the blends
Have you tried taking a break from pipe smoking? That might help too.
Or you could try smoking a "palate cleansing" blend, like Lane 1Q, as Lawrence would suggest.
A little bit of saline nasal spray never hurt to try and bring back your sense of smell, as it's strongly tied to taste.
Others have recommended Biotene mouthwash (it's made for dry mouth).
Here's a thread: palate cleansing
Hopefully, it's not too late to revive some of those taste buds

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
This is one of the many concerns I have as a younger (20) smoker. I don't smoke a lot, averaging a bowl a day or less, but it adds up.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I began ruminating, quietly as I'm the only one in the room (a bit scarey as it was a full two sided conversation)
lol! Good post warren. My taste buds haven't been affected by smoking, but still I don't have the most sophisticated taste buds I am sad to say. Oh well, such is life I guess!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two other factors affect taste and smell, those being age and medications. Apropos of age, I say, keep going.

Sometimes medications can be adjusted, either changed or changing the dosage, to improve this. Halving a

particular drug brought my taste back online. Oddly, in my case, my mouth was over-sensitized to the spicy

food I used to love. I still love it, but have to go with the "one pepper" menu items, instead of my happy

oral conflagration of before.

Status
Not open for further replies.