PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I have to say, Paladin Black Cherry Aromatic is one of the best aromatics, let alone OTC blends, I have ever smoked. This aromatic is the only black cherry, or any cherry for that matter I have tried that doesn't taste like a cough drop. Upon opening the pouch I was greeted with a wonderful cherry scent that was reminiscent of Grandma's homemade scented candles. The tobacco was moist, fine cut, and packed in the bowl very nicely. From the first light, I could tell this would be earning a spot in my daily rotation ritual. The bowl smoked well with only a small amount of dottle left over, an amazing thing for the gooey,sweeter aromatics beasts. From the top to the bottom of the bowl, this tobacco was a pleasant smoking experience. If you are a breakfast lover, nothing tops pancakes and bacon better than Paladin Black Cherry. If you are a Crystal Light fan as I am, try it with a glass of Crystal Light peach tea. You wont be disappointed in this blend. Pick up a pouch today. I am now a firm believer in love at first light.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
With a love for Brylons and Paladin Black Cherry, you may expect more than your fair share of good-natured ribbing in the future! Welcome aboard.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forums. don't let the ribbing bother you. One our most venerable members, and the first moderator, Lawrence, was a big fan of Paladin. It's been 40 years since I've smoked it but I remember that as cherry blends g it delivered as promised. Have fun here and stick to your guns.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've smoked it and don't find it all that bad. Mix in some Carter Hall and it quiets down the cherry flavor. I'm also a fan of Captain Black Cherry and smoke it in an MM cob several times a week. Sure there are better cherry blends, but for those on a budget Paladin will serve it's purpose.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
With a love for Brylons and Paladin Black Cherry
Ya just gotta love this guy!!!! Smoke what ya LIKE, LIKE what ya smoke.Some one else don't like it, tell em "Pound Sand"...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hey, Brylons are still sellin', Paladin is still sellin'. Gotta be a healthy market out there.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I agree aldecaker. People are doi'n the tighten up these days. With not a lot of money to throw around OTC blends and pipes such as Dr. Grabows and Missourri Meerschaums are quickly becoming popular.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ weezell
Thanks for your post. If you like it, smoke it. If you don't, throw it away. Doesn't matter whatcha paid for it!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ papipeguy
Nice to see Paladin fans out there. 9 out of 10 folks I talk to hate cherry blends, and some even think it's juvenile. In my opinion, nothin more immature than smoking something you don't like just cause its an expensive or famous blend.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I also happen to like it. I think the overstated "cough medicine" reviews are from people who wished to experience a black cherry aromatic but puffed like a steam engine to get a strong cherry flavor-- with a bite that would make a piranha look shameful.
It's actually quite good. I learned very quickly not to puff fast on aromatics, but I have yet to see how bad a brylon pipe truly is.

P

pipebuddy

I have tried Paladin last summer. I lasted 1/3 of a bowl. No offence meant but I found the taste of the casing awful; very chemical.

And Half & Half has that same chemical taste to me.
If you liked Paladin, try Mixture 79, it will be right up your alley.

P

pipebuddy

smokinfireman: yes, what matters is finding a tobacco that you like. It doesn't matter if the rest of the world dislikes it. You like Paladin? Man, smoke it and enjoy it!

My tastebuds are, obvioulsy, imcompatible with blends such as Paladin and Half & Half. So I smoke other tobaccos that I like. And, believe me, it took me a while before finding them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm mostly a non-aromatic smoker these days, but one aro I keep around is Newminster Cherry #3, which seems tobacco-forward to me. This #3 was sent to me by a generous Forums member; sometimes it's just the change of pace I need.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thought it would be funny to necropost. I'm smoking a bowl of Paladin right now. :mrgreen:
:puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. My only experience with a cherry blend was Cherry Ambrosia. I finally finished the tin and even got a couple of decent smokes out of it, but more often than not I'd get tongue burn just contemplating a bowl. I'd be hard pressed to try a cherry blend again, but I guess that's my loss.
Enjoy!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been trying to tame this one for nearly twenty-five years. Every now and again I would try a pouch and burn my tongue, a few years later I would try again with the same results. Nearly finished with the bowl this time with zero burn. Seems I've tamed the beast with experience and technique. Now to get another pouch of Borkum Riff and see if I am now able to smoke it without a scorched tongue!

Status
Not open for further replies.