PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Does anyone here have experience Pairing Wine with their favourite pipe tobacco? I've tried and tried to like hard liquor store and I just can't enjoy it, beer and a pipe does not appeal to me me at all.
I enjoy sweeter fair with my drinks so I'm thinking of perhaps more of a dessert wine? I do enjoy a red, as long as it's not too dry. Any suggestions would be appreciated. There are many local fruit wineries so that may also be a route to go. Looking forward to your responses.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I like sweet liqueurs when it comes to pipe tobacco. Jack Daniel's Honey and Cuarenta y Tres are two of my favorites.
But if you must have wine, I would recommend Port. I always enjoyed a good tawny Port with a cigar, and i like it with an English blend.
I have yet to find an unfortified wine I enjoy with a pipe.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
For me port and sherry work exceptionally well. Also a big bold oaked Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache or similar is lovely on the cool evenings. As for beers (don't give up, some can work with pipes, you just have to find the right ones....) I find a rich black stout or an english ale can go together with the pipe in a fantastic way too.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
For me, I've never found tobacco (pipe or cigar) to pair well with wine. I've tried several combinations over the years and never could find one I found appealing. A good port and cigar comes close but the sweetness of the grapes still gives me an odd mix of flavors I just don't find appealing.
I love good wines but, for my preference they are best suited for pairing with foods.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks guys, I've been trying for over a year to get an alcohol Pairing that I like with my pipes. Carbonation kills my tongue with a pipe, however not with a cigar. I'll keep trying. I have an ice wine I've been saving for a special occasion with my wife, doesn't look like that will happen so maybe I'll try that with my pipes. I'll report back.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Port sounds possible. There's always the old standby tradition of brandy and cigars after supper.

Most wines, it seems that either the wine or the pipe tobacco cancels the other taste experience.

Wine, being a liquid, coats your mouth and can bring up the flavor that way, but it often isn't the

best showcase for one or the other. Sherry might work, as it is usually sipped, not chugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.