PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I always get dragged into threads for 15 comments that weave way off subject and deserve their own thread. Well I’m starting one!
This last radio show like many of them, talk a lot about pairing your tobacco with certain drinks. Sounds great, but some of us don’t drink 20 year old scotch. My entire drinking consists of water, mixes of organic black teas and my main one Coke Zero. Now water is a given, doesn’t really add anything other than maybe some palate cleaning. My tea blends I do vary a bit. I like a strong cinnamon base with my light VA’s. Now when I get into VApers that’s when I like the Carmel mix of the Coke Zero. Now I agree on the last show that carbonation is a killer. I never pop a can while smoking, burns the tongue and leaves a bad following for the tobacco. But I let it sit a half hour or more, the carbonation is about gone, and it’s dropped to a mildly cold – Beverage. The water is always filtered, if you set a glass of tap water for six hours and look at the shit from old pipes on the bottom, probably not a good thing to put in your body.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I personally like Constant Comment from Bigelow Teas when I am smoking my Orlik Golden Slice. To me the spice and orange complement the virginias well. When I smoke my aros I like to drink a black cup of coffee.

I did enjoy a honey chamomille yesterday with some luxery bullseye flake. Was a damn fine smoke

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
I like a Bengal Spice tea with milder tobaccos. It seems to compliment the flavor and add a bit of kick. With more flavorful tobaccos I prefer adark beer or ale.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Most times I drink a sugar free fruit flavor drink that I mix in water.My doc says that carbonated sugary drinks are off limits for me.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I like to pair smoke with smoke, so when I smoke Latakia based blends, I like to drink Laphroaig -- but I tell ya, it's murder on the tongue.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bogglor that's funny as hell! Wiki - The company describes their whisky as the most distinctive of Scotch whisky. The whisky has a peaty/smokey flavour.
So glad some people can enjoy a smoke without a scotch. lols

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I drink more Luzianne decaf iced tea than anything. I start the day with two cups of coffee, switch to iced tea, have a drink before dinner and then back to the iced tea. I never drink water or soda. I like loose teas but the caffeine is usually to much for me.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Starbucks bold blends(Komodo Dragon, Sumatra, Christmas blend, Kenya, Guatamala) from my coffee maker 2-3 cups a day. Teavana English Breakfast tea. Water the rest of the time. Not an adult beverage drinker by choice.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
A good point Mustang, I loved my Heineken and warm Budweiser on the beach or oyster bar. My Stoli out of the freezer, my Johnny Walker black and a true Merlot, all neat… Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good thing with water? BUT the medication (explains a lot huh?) that has let me walk without mind-blowing pain and kept me on the move for the last 8+ years is of the no booze category, both from the doc, and the DEA. You know I get randomly piss tested to prove I’m on drugs lols.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Likewise, I like to start off the day with black coffee and a pipe. I agree with the tea drinkers also. Tea (hot or iced - I like it sweet) pairs great with pipe tobacco. It's all a matter of taste so whatever you like...bon appetite!

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Well, I drink black coffee all day, probably way more than is good for me, but I also drink lots of water and no soft drinks at all. I just don't care for the taste, never have.
But... hot black coffee with a good tobacco is luxury!

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
hot black coffee with a good tobacco is luxury!
Amen.
After dinner, I usually have a little wine left to go with my post-prandial pipe, and it's been fun trying to match cheap red wine with different tobaccos.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I do enjoy good whisky with a pipe, but I also love coffee, tea, iced jasmine tea with honey and bit of lemon and some of the more artisan sodas or high quality mixers like Fentimans ginger beer, curiosity cola, and dandelion and burdock soda. They are not super carbonated and geared towards the coctail enthusiast. Try them out of you can find them.
http://www.fentimans.com/soft_drinks

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
When I have some leisure time, there's nothing like sipping some Bushmills with a pipeful of Peterson Sunset Breeze, :puffy: but I find that when I don't have the time, or I'm stuck in a non-smoking environment, if there's a one-cup coffee maker available (like the Keurig type), the San Francisco Bay French Roast coffee you can buy at Costco is a reasonable substitute - rich, dense, definitely reminds me of good pipe tobacco.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a big fan of tea with milk and sugar when I'm smoking during the day. Some English tea my mother-in-law brings over.
In the evening I like an IPA, bourbon, of my recent fling: Jack Daniels Honey on the rocks.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Morning: Colombian with Milk and Sugar paired to Marlin Flake/ Orlik Golden Sliced / other VA

Afternoon: Arabica very dark roasted paired to SG Squadron Leader when workin, and Organic Roiboos Orange paired to WO Larsen classic when relaxing

Evening: Nightcap paired to Laphroaig Quarter Cask / a Balkan like Bombay Court or Frogmorton paired to Glenlivet 12
Other indulgences:
Lavazza Rosso based Americano paired to Escudo

Grousemoor paired to Earl Grey

HH Old Dark Fired paired to a Taiwan Alishan High Mountain Oolong

MB Club Blend paired to a Cappucino

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Usually Ice tea when I'm smoking at work, I've found the grassy, slightly smoky honey flavor from AZ green tea with ginseng pairs well with a lot of my smokes. The best pairing I've found so far is Jameson and SPC Plum Pudding.

Status
Not open for further replies.