Pairing Tobacco and Drink

(47 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dragonslayer
  • Latest reply from undecagon
  1. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always get dragged into threads for 15 comments that weave way off subject and deserve their own thread. Well I’m starting one!

This last radio show like many of them, talk a lot about pairing your tobacco with certain drinks. Sounds great, but some of us don’t drink 20 year old scotch. My entire drinking consists of water, mixes of organic black teas and my main one Coke Zero. Now water is a given, doesn’t really add anything other than maybe some palate cleaning. My tea blends I do vary a bit. I like a strong cinnamon base with my light VA’s. Now when I get into VApers that’s when I like the Carmel mix of the Coke Zero. Now I agree on the last show that carbonation is a killer. I never pop a can while smoking, burns the tongue and leaves a bad following for the tobacco. But I let it sit a half hour or more, the carbonation is about gone, and it’s dropped to a mildly cold – Beverage. The water is always filtered, if you set a glass of tap water for six hours and look at the shit from old pipes on the bottom, probably not a good thing to put in your body.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally like Constant Comment from Bigelow Teas when I am smoking my Orlik Golden Slice. To me the spice and orange complement the virginias well. When I smoke my aros I like to drink a black cup of coffee.
    I did enjoy a honey chamomille yesterday with some luxery bullseye flake. Was a damn fine smoke

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sebastian

sebastian

Login to Send PM

I like a Bengal Spice tea with milder tobaccos. It seems to compliment the flavor and add a bit of kick. With more flavorful tobaccos I prefer adark beer or ale.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most times I drink a sugar free fruit flavor drink that I mix in water.My doc says that carbonated sugary drinks are off limits for me.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I like to pair smoke with smoke, so when I smoke Latakia based blends, I like to drink Laphroaig -- but I tell ya, it's murder on the tongue.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bogglor that's funny as hell! Wiki - The company describes their whisky as the most distinctive of Scotch whisky. The whisky has a peaty/smokey flavour.

So glad some people can enjoy a smoke without a scotch. lols

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I drink more Luzianne decaf iced tea than anything. I start the day with two cups of coffee, switch to iced tea, have a drink before dinner and then back to the iced tea. I never drink water or soda. I like loose teas but the caffeine is usually to much for me.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm all over the place drink-wise.

During the day I, too, start with coffee, 2-3 cups max, then water. Maybe a beer before dinner and end up sipping it while I cook. Water with dinner, but I'll open a bottle of wine a few times a week, depending on my mood and who's here for dinner. After dinner, an occasional Asbach Uralt or Jameson's, sometimes an IPA later in the evening, but usually more water.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Starbucks bold blends(Komodo Dragon, Sumatra, Christmas blend, Kenya, Guatamala) from my coffee maker 2-3 cups a day. Teavana English Breakfast tea. Water the rest of the time. Not an adult beverage drinker by choice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A good point Mustang, I loved my Heineken and warm Budweiser on the beach or oyster bar. My Stoli out of the freezer, my Johnny Walker black and a true Merlot, all neat… Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good thing with water? BUT the medication (explains a lot huh?) that has let me walk without mind-blowing pain and kept me on the move for the last 8+ years is of the no booze category, both from the doc, and the DEA. You know I get randomly piss tested to prove I’m on drugs lols.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Likewise, I like to start off the day with black coffee and a pipe. I agree with the tea drinkers also. Tea (hot or iced - I like it sweet) pairs great with pipe tobacco. It's all a matter of taste so whatever you like...bon appetite!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I drink black coffee all day, probably way more than is good for me, but I also drink lots of water and no soft drinks at all. I just don't care for the taste, never have.

But... hot black coffee with a good tobacco is luxury!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hot black coffee with a good tobacco is luxury!

Amen.

After dinner, I usually have a little wine left to go with my post-prandial pipe, and it's been fun trying to match cheap red wine with different tobaccos.

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do enjoy good whisky with a pipe, but I also love coffee, tea, iced jasmine tea with honey and bit of lemon and some of the more artisan sodas or high quality mixers like Fentimans ginger beer, curiosity cola, and dandelion and burdock soda. They are not super carbonated and geared towards the coctail enthusiast. Try them out of you can find them.

http://www.fentimans.com/soft_drinks

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Coffee for me, I do like sherry as well so I'm going to try that out as a pairing tonight

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fresh, ice cold apple cider and a good VaPer, made for each other I think. With every other tobacco I either drink coffee, or diet pepsi. I despise diet drinks, but I gave up sugar in quantity about 10 years ago and am much better off for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, Coke Zero, let it rest a bit. Closest thing to the Classic Coke and no sugar or caffeine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, Coke Zero, let it rest a bit. Closest thing to the Classic Coke and no sugar or caffeine.

Was never a Coke fan, tried the Zero variety and didn't care much for it either. Pepsi Max is probably the least bad of the Diet lot. The Carmel Cream Jazz pepsi was pretty good for a diet, but of course when I started buying it regularly, they quit making it. This is normal for something I enjoy, they either stop production, or triple the price and I stop buying it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I have some leisure time, there's nothing like sipping some Bushmills with a pipeful of Peterson Sunset Breeze, but I find that when I don't have the time, or I'm stuck in a non-smoking environment, if there's a one-cup coffee maker available (like the Keurig type), the San Francisco Bay French Roast coffee you can buy at Costco is a reasonable substitute - rich, dense, definitely reminds me of good pipe tobacco.

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fresh, ice cold apple cider and a good VaPer, made for each other I think.

That sounds tasty!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of tea with milk and sugar when I'm smoking during the day. Some English tea my mother-in-law brings over.

In the evening I like an IPA, bourbon, of my recent fling: Jack Daniels Honey on the rocks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Morning: Colombian with Milk and Sugar paired to Marlin Flake/ Orlik Golden Sliced / other VA
    Afternoon: Arabica very dark roasted paired to SG Squadron Leader when workin, and Organic Roiboos Orange paired to WO Larsen classic when relaxing
    Evening: Nightcap paired to Laphroaig Quarter Cask / a Balkan like Bombay Court or Frogmorton paired to Glenlivet 12

Other indulgences:

Lavazza Rosso based Americano paired to Escudo
    Grousemoor paired to Earl Grey
    HH Old Dark Fired paired to a Taiwan Alishan High Mountain Oolong
    MB Club Blend paired to a Cappucino

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Usually Ice tea when I'm smoking at work, I've found the grassy, slightly smoky honey flavor from AZ green tea with ginseng pairs well with a lot of my smokes. The best pairing I've found so far is Jameson and SPC Plum Pudding.

BLACKBLOODs for life...just please keep making Black House!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had a hard time finding something, besides carbonated drinks, that I don't like with a smoke (within reason). Tea, water, and coffee are all great. Beer is ok, but my favorite would have to be bourbon or peated scotch like Laphroig or Talisker. That said, it's partly because I smoke alot of latakia. The cider also sounds like a great idea.

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't drink alot of booze...at least not if I'm smoking

Anyway, the apple cider/VaPer, yep, it's splendid, if you have access to real cider you should make that your #1 drink with any VaPer you smoke. They really compliment each other perfectly. Found out quite by accident myself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah I probably like hot black tea best, but you an't beat a good bourbon, Buffalo Trace is my Fave.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. salewis

salewis

Login to Send PM

Peets Major Dickinson coffee with Dunhill's My London Mixture is heaven in the mornings on the patio with my Labrador Retiever.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the Apple Cider sounds great, going to get some today.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

I too don't indulge in alcohol drinks, never have and for the past six years, like yourself, take medication for my severe back pain so they wouldn't mix anyways. I love a cup of coffee with my pipe, New England breakfast blend to be exact. I love fruit punch and iced teas too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seems a good percentage of us have the same issue. Bad backs and pain meds = no booze. Lols
    I can say for a fact that pipe smoking does help with the pain. It frees the mind, lets you contemplate ideals from the grand to the stupid. But most important you’re not thinking about the pain. Too bad you’ll never hear a doctor recommend it. But you can get a prescription in some, soon all states for Marijuana.

Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man I have to admit, the cold apple cider with Va/per sounds like an outstanding combo. Can't wait to try it. Problem is trying to find cider. Seems to only be around in the fall.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah Ohin, the wife is out looking now. I'm interested in both a cold and warm cup with a cinnamon stick in it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dragonslayer, hope you get over your pain.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@instymp Thanks for the good thoughts. But it's one of those pay the piper things... Every year now for about the last 10 it's a battle with my quarterback doctor calling the shots. I'm paying for being crushed in a car in 1979. Operations for my pelvis being crushed don't exist, but the back they have new stuff coming all the time. I'm excited about the new arthroscopic work their doing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Porters with low carbonation taste great with flake VAPers, and Merlot with English blends.

I love pipes and alcohol. Probably my death sentence. Good thing I steer clear of any and all sodas.

I would like to note a Single Malt scotch attainable by all is Speyburn. Good quality taste that is cheap compared to most single malts. Might not be the best, but it ain't Dewars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose one could make or buy a bunch of cider and freeze it for later use?

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn, out of season and nobody has it, even called around. Well got some top quality apple juice going to warm it up with a cinnamon stick and maybe get a little of the flavor. But soon as it hits this fall I'll be on it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's just my simpleton newbie tastes talking, but I love a good beer with a pipe.

Right now it's a bowl of Bishop's Move (BTW... if you've never tried it... FANTASTIC stuff. I'm fortunate to have it right down the street from me) and a New Belgium Abbey. On some of the more aromatic blends, I like something like a Duvel or Piraat. Just my .02.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If there's an orchard nearby, it's possible they'll have some this late. I've bought it as late as April, though that was several years ago when we had a bumper crop of apples.

Hard to justify the cost of pressing your own cider unless you can find blems, but those won't be available until this late Fall. With the price of apples these days, it'd probably cost you $15 to press out half a gallon of cider.

The stuff in the juice section of the grocery store isn't bad, just not quite as good as fresh. It's been pasteurized, of course, which affects the taste of the apple.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's just my simpleton newbie tastes talking, but I love a good beer with a pipe.

Right now it's a bowl of Bishop's Move (BTW... if you've never tried it... FANTASTIC stuff. I'm fortunate to have it right down the street from me) and a New Belgium Abbey. On some of the more aromatic blends, I like something like a Duvel or Piraat. Just my .02.

I like a beer with a dark, strong tobacco like SG's irish twist, and a good port or cream sherry with about any English blend heavy with latakia. The sweetness really wakes up the latakia and orientals.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Porters with low carbonation taste great with flake VAPers

+1 add a hoppy pilsner for light Englishes and you've got it made.

If I'm not in the mood for beer, I'll have either water or a good Celestial Seasonings herb tea depending on the blend.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I like a beer with a dark, strong tobacco like SG's irish twist, and a good port or cream sherry with about any English blend heavy with latakia. The sweetness really wakes up the latakia and orientals.

Port with your Englishes? That's a whole lot of richness going on... you're more bold than I am, sir.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I usually have coffee or water. I'm not old enough to drink, so I can't pair alcohol with my pipe

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm not old enough to drink, so I can't pair alcohol with my pipe.

Enjoy it while you can. EVERYTHING gets more expensive after you're old enough to drink.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

The first article Russ ever wrote for PipesMagazine.com was on this topic -

Tobacco and Beverage Pairings

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Port with your Englishes? That's a whole lot of richness going on... you're more bold than I am, sir.

I like sweet with tangy/smoky, so to me, they're great together. I like beer with brown irish twist and it's a sweet-ish tasting tobacco that's very full and high in nicotine and I like the refreshing coolness and bitterness in the beer to go with that. I don't care that much for hot drinks with the strong tobaccos I prefer. I drink coffee much of the day, and my main squeeze is SG's brown irish, but even though I often do drink coffee with this tobacco, I still prefer something cold.

I don't pay a great deal of attention to what should, or shouldn't go with something, I just try it, and if I like it, cool. If not, then I move on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't often worry about pairings unless I have special company - or it's a particularly special day. I do think about them, and note when I find good ones or bad ones. But usually it's just: Grab pipe you want, grab tin you want, grab drink you want. I find it almost always works well!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ericthered, sparks, jfox520, philobeddoe, portalhq, cortezattic, samanden, pipestud, leacha, deathandtaxes, darwin, andystewart