PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Well not really but I do find myself with a bar of white beeswax when I'm smoking my Meer lately. I'm not sure if it is a disorder or just me. I'm liking the results though.
65D61712-3AD3-477F-A564-C689CB2C023E-4662-000004276F91482D.jpg

014663AB-E602-4074-9897-26D414303CB6-4662-000004276BA7C288.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kca5E3xk8II

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
i read an article that says to blow smoke over your meer and it will color faster, tried it tonight seems it will take a long time, he said some people put dowels in a plastic box to hold pipe and blow smoke in box and cover,whatever floats your boat The old cajun

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Looking good!
Btw right now I'm smoking meer with Hamborger, what a great tobacco!!

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I watched a video on youtube where the gentleman put his pipe in a container of tobacco and water that had been steeped in the oven. It turned a very ugly color IMHO, but he seemed to like it. I don't think that I would personally do that to one of my meers, as I think it would damage the integrity of the meer...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I must be doing something wrong, or I have a poor quality meer. My old Paykoc meer is 8 years old, and the only coloration is on the underside of the shank. Been putting the beeswax, wiping the bowl out, still hasn't colored at all.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
There is no shortcut to the beauty of a naturally coloured meer.

It is supposed to be a journey. It is a shame so many wish to cheapen it by taking shortcuts.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have the same shape as yours only mine is rusticated. I love it so much and wouldn't trade it for anything. This makes me want to smoke it more.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
@rigmedic do you have a pressed or block Meer? Pressed. Meer's won't color.
@crk69 Stupid is as stupid does

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
@sixmp thanks for your opinion. I feel that I am interacting with my pipe. How many pipes have you spent a lifetime with? Some master carvers such as S. Yanik use extensive coloring with dyes and beeswax before the pipe leaves the shop. It is a journey ofcourse. Please do not say I am cheapening my pipe when you dont know me or my pipe.
I get it you don't like it. You didnt have to put me and my pipe down in one snobbish statement.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
@sixmp thanks for your opinion. I feel that I am interacting with my pipe. How many pipes have you spent a lifetime with? Some master carvers such as S. Yanik use extensive coloring with dyes and beeswax before the pipe leaves the shop. It is a journey ofcourse. Please do not say I am cheapening my pipe when you dont know me or my pipe.
I get it you don't like it. You didnt have to put me and my pipe down in one snobbish statement.
Actually i was talking about the chap crk69 was talking about, but you get on down with your bad self

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Well, your guess is as good as mine. As cheap as it was, probably pressed, lol. I have a Storient PM 2012 cherrywood on the way, so perhaps it is time to start another journey.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
This hobby is about enjoyment and if your individual enjoyment is to smoke a pre-coloured meer then great; if it's to smoke a pure as the driven snow meer into your own colouring over 30 years, great too! I can't see an experience that brings joy to someone as cheap. It's like the difference between home brewing beer and going to the store to pick up some beer.
Anyway, that's a nice Meer. Too many are far too ornate for my tastes, but this one is nice and simple.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I agree Mick. Everyone has their own taste (to each his own). I can't see myself putting my pipes in a box of smoke

or dipping them in used motor oil ( :) ), but enjoy them how you want. I see nothing wrong with dabbing on bees wax

while smoking or or just stroking it if that's your thing.....

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I agree each to his/her own.

Just to clarify. My earlier comment was more to the point of it is a shame so many people prefer to "aid" the colouring process (boxes of smoke etc). As they tend to not look as good imo as the naturally coloured meers.
I don't see adding wax to a meer as aiding which is why i didn't think the OP would dream my comment was aimed in anyway towards him.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
or just stroking it if that's your thing.....
*sigh*... If only the Cinnamon Girl were mine.
Looks good gw! My #11 has only colored up top around the rim. I'll have to get some white beeswax. Why wouldn't regular yellow beeswax work? I have some of that.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Any bees wax will work Mike... the unrefined wax will give a darker color. I had an

old friend that used chap stick. "gwtwdbss, I like the way your pipe is coloring near

the rim, I haven't seen a pipe do that".
(For those who don't know Cinnamon Girl)
IMG_1534-1.jpg

IMG_1536-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.