PAD vs TAD

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by flintlockjohn
  • Latest reply from flyguy
  1. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After not having purchased a new pipe for several years, over the past three months I have added six pipes to my inventory; four briars and two corncobs. As I was looking at pipes on fleebay the other evening, it occurred to me that rather than buying more pipes, I should probably resume stocking up on tobacco before the rumored price increases and tax hikes become a reality. I currently have about four pounds of assorted English/Balkan and aromatics in my cellar. I hope to at least triple if not quadruple that by the end of the year, starting with several pounds of the Stokkebye bulk English blends I like best, followed by some Dunhill and Sutliff tins when they go on sale later this year, and rounded out with a big purchase of Larry's Blend and Black House from Hearth and Home at the December discount price. That's my story and I'm sticking to it (although there's this really nice GBD saddle bit sandblast I've had my eye on, and ooh, look, that Upshall is nice, and wouldn't I like to have a Boswell poker ...)

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's great when there's enough money in the budget to get lots more pipes *and* lots more tobacco for the cellar. But I think there's a lot more puffers in situations where money is tight and the budget demands tough decisions be made -- pipe or extra tobacco -- not both.

I think it's wise, if a puffer can't do both PAD & TAD, he/she needs to look at their pipe collection and honestly evaluate whether or not there's any real need for more pipes.

If one is convinced that 40 pipes on the racks are not enough, or he/she really needs to own that pipe on eBay then fine, buy more pipes -- focus less on tobacco. Conversely, if one would really like more pipes but TBH, 10 pipes for the rotation will work just ducky -- you can use the budget money to take advantage of today's great prices on tobacco -- pipes can wait, pipe prices should remain steady, another estate Rad/Dunhill/Upshall will come along, and we all know those tobacco blends will cost 2-3 times as much soon.

In my case, I'm doing both, but leaning ever more heavily on stocking the cellar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with rothnh. Tobacco cellar now, more pipes later. Pipe prices are unlikely to change much, tobacco prices are certain to be taxed and priced much higher soon. Once I get over 100 pounds of flake stocked I'll increase the quest for more pipes.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I currently own 18 pipes, ranging from corn cobs, basket pipes, estate pipes, a meerschaum and a few higher quality pipes. Of those I smoke about 10 of them on a regular basis, so I don't need to buy any more pipes really. I keep a couple in my travel bag for if I'm out and about, and I have a one I keep in my work truck for on those rough days when a short smoke comes in handy. With that said my focus is more on purchasing tobacco. I have a variety of tobacco but much of it is small samples amounting to an ounce or less, so I need to start re-supplying some blends and stock up on others.

Just placed a small order through SmokingPipes.com last night with 4oz of Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader and 2oz of Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake which I'm excited to try. Not thrilled about the shipping rate, but at least they ship pipe tobacco to WA state.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I think it's wise, if a puffer can't do both PAD & TAD, he/she needs to look at their pipe collection and honestly evaluate whether or not there's any real need for more pipes.

Thats my situation. I have enough pipes for now. I'm gonna focus on baccy.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's great when there's enough money in the budget to get lots more pipes *and* lots more tobacco for the cellar. But I think there's a lot more puffers in situations where money is tight and the budget demands tough decisions be made -- pipe or extra tobacco -- not both.

I am definitely in the category of having to choose one or another. I have a budgeted amount I feel I can spend on fun stuff each month, and I try really hard not to go beyond that. For the next couple months, the fun money will be going to tobacco.
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies, everybody.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

How many pipes do you have? I have 29, so I definitely have enough until I really beef up the cellar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I might buy a couple of pipes a year, but I'm personally much more fascinated by tobaccos than in the constant flood of new artisan pipemakers or adding more straight grains to my collection. I just love exploring a wide variety of new blends, and I enjoy stocking up on the blends I already know and enjoy. I have 104 different blends represented in the cellar -- and yet I've still never purchased anything from Wessex, barely touched the Solani range, and have much to explore in McClelland, Germain, and others. (And I'm not even talking about all of the aromatics out there, since I don't smoke them.)

PAD or TAD? For me, there's no question.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a dozen or so pipes, but only six are regular smokers, plus two Country Gentlemen corncobs, one for the car and one for the man cave. My short-term PAD goal was a nice pipe for every day of the week, and since I am almost there (or there, if you count the cobs), it seems that some TAD is in order. I will be placing an order later this morning, as my funds are now available in Paypal. I do not put fun purchases on credit cards, as that takes the fun out of it for me. Strictly pay as you go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is done: Two pounds of PS Proper English, one pound of PS English Luxury, 8 ounces of PS English Oriental Supreme, one tin of Sutliff No. 5 and an ounce each of Altadis Heavy English and Byzantium. Those last two are bulk blends recommended by the blender as substitutes for Sutliff's Balkan Luxury, currently only available in 1.5 ounce tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I decided when I started smoking to focus more on tobacco. No my cellar isn't huge by any means, but I've been taking the money that I'd have spent on estate gambles and even my self budgeted food allowance during the work week and putting it into my tobacco fund. Right now I've got about 6 solid pipes that all have their own personality and a few extras that get used when I find myself wanting an English.

That's whats working for me and I've been eating a LOT healthier since I've been buying groceries and bringing them to work instead of hitting all the Mexican restaurants in town. (I do love carnitas)

One day I'll be able to buy a nice artisan pipe that catches my eye whenever and wherever I see it, but right now I'm still paying off expenses from my wife going back to school and getting her degree. It's win win for me. I'll have a ton of aged tobacco to smoke in it too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. smokedragon

smokedragon

Login to Send PM

I'm definitely with Gecko on this. Pipes will stay about the same, but the tobacco is going to continue to rise. I've bought a good rotation of pipes (11)since November when I started this hobby. Now I'm setting my focus on stocking tobacco. I recently bought about 4 pounds of my favorite Boswell blends, as well as around 5 different Peterson and Dunhill tins that I like. Got my cellar waiting for things to come in. As for the recent TAD vs. Ammo debate, I don't own a gun so it's no question where my money is going.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

"I think it's wise, if a puffer can't do both PAD & TAD, he/she needs to look at their pipe collection and honestly evaluate whether or not there's any real need for more pipes."

Ordinarily I would agree with that approach, but in my case - in which I collect and smoke vintage metal pipes which are not always available for purchase - I find a need to 'grab' something nice when it is posted.
    True, tobacco prices are constantly rising, but at least the brands are always available - which is not the case with out of production pipes.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have switched my focus to tobacco since the beginning of November. I will still buy a pipe here and there, but I have plenty of pipes now so those will remain in the background. I have also been moving out pipes that I no longer reach for as much to make room for new ones. I don't want more than 45 pipes or so as more than that for me means pipes will get neglected.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have done both the last few months but after the Tinsky I just got, no I mean the Tinsky I ordered after the one I just got, then that will be it really!!! Seriously the pipe will last forever more or less but the tobacco goes up in smoke and then there is no more so that must be the focus in order to have this hobby exist for me, for any of us, for years to come.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm stockin up the cellar.I would rather have to smoke good tobacco thru a cob than to have a Dunnie empty...

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I currently own 8 briars, 2 calabash and a couple of cobs. My plan is to build up my cellar before purchasing more pipes. My wood crafty brother is building me a pipe rack to hold 24 pipes, so eventually I will buy another 16 or so briars. The calabash pipes will stay in separate stands (not the pipe rack). I would like to buy at least 2 more gourd calabash pipes since I enjoy their smoking properties. The master plan is for 28 pipes total, not including cobs.
    So...TAD first...PAD later!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   captainsousie, onepyrotec, dcrguns, newbroom, crimsonrat, panagiotis, gunslinger