PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
So I had a serious itch to find another bent bulldog because I really love my GBD Celebrity Bent Bulldog I picked up from SP about a year ago (the first pipe I ever owned actually). Wife gave me a larger budget than normal, so I did my research, and I was ready to spend a little more than I would have thought.
I searched the forums, best pipes under 200 bucks. Lots of signs led to Ligne Bretagne pipes by Trever Talbert. And then I found this:
0501lb02.jpg

I hope the link works otherwise I'll take pics later. What a wonderful smoker! I have smoked 3 bowls so far and have enjoyed each. Paying for a little higher quality pipe proved worth it on this one! Its not bent, or quite a true bulldog, but beautiful to me and will be a regular in the rotation!
And for the Fantasy, I took advantage of a 20 percent off sale and scored a Gilg by Vauen. Took two days to decide which Churchwarden I wanted, but I think this is going to be a good one (it went out of stock when I hit buy, so maybe that's a good omen). I read many things about the Churchwardens, some good, some bad, but my love of LOTR had me pick this one up (Duane aka chasingembers also helped). Reviews are good and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it smokes!
Vauen_Auenland_Gilg_Left_Side_WM__18649.1380138858.jpg

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
It has a filter because I didn't have the option to pick one without. I saw there was some kind of filter adapter by Vauen, but it was out of stock. I didn't know if I could just remove the filter and smoke it without, or wait until the adapter comes back in stock and get that. I figured I would try it with/without and figure out what to do.
With my estates I simply take that nasty stinger and pull it out with pliers and trash it immediately. I wasn't sure if this would be the same or not.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
I smoke both of my Vauens without a filter or adapter. Yes, the draw is a little more open but not a problem.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke both of my Vauens without a filter or adapter. Yes, the draw is a little more open but not a problem.
Even if it was, you could pack the tobacco a little tighter to adjust the draw.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both pipes have an attractive originality to them without entirely abandoning traditions. I really find them both admirable.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Thanks all! I think I was looking at the right place at the right time to find these (and a little stretch of the pocket book)!
That Ligne Bretagne was one I stumbled across through searching and couldn't be without it. From the description it sounded pretty unique, and so I couldn't let it pass me up otherwise I think I would have regretted it. Its longer than I thought, but very well weighted for clenching or holding in the hand.
I imagine I'll see the Gilg later this week. Good to know the Vauens smoke well with or without the filter, and I can vary the packing method to make sure I get a good draw. I know my Karl Erik's don't like it when I over pack them, it's a pain to keep them lit when I do!
And @MSO, yes, these both seem to have a traditional sense, but with some added personality. I don't have anything in my collection that is the same, so I am very excited to add them both!
Now to see how long I can resist the future PAD....

Jan 8, 2013
Both are lovely pipes. I still want a Talbert and still want a Vauen Aunland. Yours are both fantastic. Enjoy the heck out of them :clap:

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
The Talbert is an awesome smoker, it has a larger drilling than my other pipes, and clenches nicely. The tobacco burns nice and even, bowl doesn't get hot.
And as for be Gilg...funny story. It turns out it was actually not in stock when I hit the in stock button. They offered me the smooth version, but I really like rusticated. So I am patiently waiting for its arrival, maybe before Christmas so I can wrap it up and put it under the tree. But I have enough pipes to smoke, and it will get here when it gets here.

Status
Not open for further replies.