Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

PAD Out Of Controle

(30 posts)
  1. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK this shit just happened, I've been watching this awesome Zulu on the bay, Im siting hear this morning smoking my usaual EMP and having coffee wathching the time run out on this pipe, I placed my max and waited the last 15 min crap out bided, but I want it, so I go against my own rules and raise my max, again outbid so I raise again, now Im at double my fist max bid and winning, so I now sit back and wait out the last 3 minutes, take a drink of coffee and reach fo my lighter, pipe went out, this is when I realize Im SMOKING THAT PIPE! I already own one just like it, same maker, shape and finish and Im smoking it in a frigging bidding war. I watch the seconds count down and think this is the dumbest thing Iv done in a while, I really need to stay off Ebay, at the end a red banner showing I was out bided, I didn't win, to the contrary yes I did, maby I will learn something over this

By the way the pipe Im smoking is a Savory's Argyle Rusticated Zulu shape 12

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Feel your pain.
    Been there. Done that. More than once. Luckily was outbid in the last seconds.
    Trying to stay off of Ebay & Etsy.
    Started a recovery group on 1. Hi, I'm Jack...I have PAD.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

dkaye201

Login to Send PM

HI JACK!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. hmhaines

hmhaines

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Benefits of being a newbie: all the pipes are new to me and my collection!

"Following the path of least resistance is what makes the river crooked."
    U. Utah Phillips
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't "do" ebay, but in shopping for pipes in general, I shop around a particular pipe and make a list of what else is available in that size, shape and finish, generally, in and around the price I want to pay, and a little more and a little less. Then when I start zeroing in, I can be more disciplined. The one I'm focusing on isn't the only pipe in the world. Sometimes when I go through this routine, a retailer pulls a great sale with something in the right category, and boom, I bring it home. A pipe I bought last spring from SP has recently been offered at $37 more than I paid, a nice discount.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@mso489, I hope, someday, to be as disciplined as you teach me obi-wan

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh man. That is pain. I haven't done that, but I have done the "Welll, Ive already bought 2 of Steve's (Pipestud) pipes and my wife's gonna be pissed. I may as well buy a couple more so she is just pissed at the one BOX of pipes coming into the house..."

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dkaye201

Login to Send PM

It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dkaye201: that works only so many times before there is no permission to ask for forgiveness.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

:rofl:

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel your pain, Brother! Just a few weeks ago I vowed on here to acquire only one pipe a year at Christmas. Since then, I had Mark Tinsky make me a pipe and has now made me another! We need help! Hi. My name is Tim and I have PAD. It all started...

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only things I buy anymore are old Meerschaum Cuttys.Getting ready to thin out my briars...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crap, I just got 6 new cobs, 3 shapes that I don't have, off the bay for $25, great deal but my PAD is gone crazy...

Hello, my name is Mic and I have PAD.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gents: One way to slow down (just a bit) your PAD is to post photos of your acquisitions and what you're drooling over before you buy....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One way to slow down (just a bit) your PAD

Sir, you don't understand, this IS my slow mode

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bidding on the pipe you are smoking is a fantastic story. I have fortunately never hit that level, ... yet...

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Thankfully I have that monster slain. The only pipes left on my list are my yearly Weaver, and I want to get a Davorin Denovic Morta.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pagan, I want to thank you, Sir. Reading your post drew my attention to the fact that I was trying to decide between a Luigi Viprati pipe from Zappabud and having Mark Tinsky make me another. After reading your post, I realized that the Viprati was almost identical to one Jesse Jones made for me. I know it's a different maker, but it is essentially the same pipe (Size, shape, color, etc.)! I just sent Mark the money. Gracie!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Over-bidding on the pipe you're currently smoking - that's classic.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

I always have bid like that ! When your money runs out and your wife has no job, PAD is temporarily cured !

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gone crazy too, the tad and pad are too damm strong sometimes!!! Arrrggg!!!! I need to stop too, the deals from the websites always get me, but in the end i end up spending alot of money.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The deals, it's always the deals. I just preordered a pipe, because 20% off and a free tamper, how couldn't I? Right after promising myself I'd stop with the $250 Alexa pipe carved to look leather wrapped, and with real stitching. And the Kaywoodie Holiday event/slow smoke competition right around the corner.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And a free tamper? shit Im in, hell the 12 I have just aren't enuff

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha, true enough. But it is hand turned... Lol, I'm a sucker for a deal, even for things I don't need.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. cynicismandsugar

Jeffrey Deal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hahahaha, that´s priceless!

"Ride it like you stole it!"

The Old Swede
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. bostoneo

bostoneo

Login to Send PM

That hilarious. I would of shit myself if I did that and won. Luckily ebay lets you reneg on auctions lol

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lucky for me my PAD is limited to Scottie Piersel. It helps when you have a very specific shape, size that you collect. I don't have any desire to shop on the bay or anywhere else.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Pagan Pics or it didnt happen

Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hears the Zulu I have, The exact pipe I was bidding on I didn't win

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, tozert, jvnshr, bigpond, willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud