PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
OK this shit just happened, I've been watching this awesome Zulu on the bay, Im siting hear this morning smoking my usaual EMP and having coffee wathching the time run out on this pipe, I placed my max and waited the last 15 min crap out bided, but I want it, so I go against my own rules and raise my max, again outbid so I raise again, now Im at double my fist max bid and winning, so I now sit back and wait out the last 3 minutes, take a drink of coffee and reach fo my lighter, pipe went out, this is when I realize Im SMOKING THAT PIPE! I already own one just like it, same maker, shape and finish and Im smoking it in a frigging bidding war. I watch the seconds count down and think this is the dumbest thing Iv done in a while, I really need to stay off Ebay, at the end a red banner showing I was out bided, I didn't win, to the contrary yes I did, maby I will learn something over this
By the way the pipe Im smoking is a Savory's Argyle Rusticated Zulu shape 12

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Feel your pain.

Been there. Done that. More than once. Luckily was outbid in the last seconds.

Trying to stay off of Ebay & Etsy.

Started a recovery group on 1. Hi, I'm Jack...I have PAD.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Benefits of being a newbie: all the pipes are new to me and my collection!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't "do" ebay, but in shopping for pipes in general, I shop around a particular pipe and make a list of what else is available in that size, shape and finish, generally, in and around the price I want to pay, and a little more and a little less. Then when I start zeroing in, I can be more disciplined. The one I'm focusing on isn't the only pipe in the world. Sometimes when I go through this routine, a retailer pulls a great sale with something in the right category, and boom, I bring it home. A pipe I bought last spring from SP has recently been offered at $37 more than I paid, a nice discount.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Oh man. That is pain. I haven't done that, but I have done the "Welll, Ive already bought 2 of Steve's (Pipestud) pipes and my wife's gonna be pissed. I may as well buy a couple more so she is just pissed at the one BOX of pipes coming into the house..."

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I feel your pain, Brother! Just a few weeks ago I vowed on here to acquire only one pipe a year at Christmas. Since then, I had Mark Tinsky make me a pipe and has now made me another! We need help! Hi. My name is Tim and I have PAD. It all started...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
The only things I buy anymore are old Meerschaum Cuttys.Getting ready to thin out my briars...

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Crap, I just got 6 new cobs, 3 shapes that I don't have, off the bay for $25, great deal but my PAD is gone crazy...
Hello, my name is Mic and I have PAD.....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Gents: One way to slow down (just a bit) your PAD is to post photos of your acquisitions and what you're drooling over before you buy.... 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thankfully I have that monster slain. The only pipes left on my list are my yearly Weaver, and I want to get a Davorin Denovic Morta.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Pagan, I want to thank you, Sir. Reading your post drew my attention to the fact that I was trying to decide between a Luigi Viprati pipe from Zappabud and having Mark Tinsky make me another. After reading your post, I realized that the Viprati was almost identical to one Jesse Jones made for me. I know it's a different maker, but it is essentially the same pipe (Size, shape, color, etc.)! I just sent Mark the money. Gracie!

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I always have bid like that ! When your money runs out and your wife has no job, PAD is temporarily cured ! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.