PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After ignoring my PAD for awhile, it became uncontrollable. First I bought the Digby (GBD) Prince 357. I bid on and lost the Dunhill 357.
Then I decided to be practical. I needed another pipe like a hole in the head, but the PAD refused to go away. So, I made an offer on a Falcon with 5 bowls and it was accepted. I really don't need the pipe, but the 5 bowls will keep me busy cleaning, and add to my collection. While I'm still watching a couple of other pipes, the PAD is calming down. When I have the pipes in my hand, I expect it will go away completely for a couple of months.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Nice Falcon set.
PAD is evil. I have been trading in pipes at Smokers Haven and moving up to higher grade American made pipes. Just when I think I am satisfied, Premal puts new pipes out.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Plateauguy, you can rest assured that the fine members of this forum will in no way deliberately trigger your PAD going forward.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
PG, what I did to control my PAD was to allow TAD to take over. I decided I needed too stock my cellar for the next 25 years and that curbed my PAD. Now that I have pretty much completed the cellar, I can now return to PAD. It is either one of the other, there is no escape, there is no let up, it is our destiny as pipe smokers. Don't try and fight it, accept it and revel in it. lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Calming down, or the calm before the storm? If you can forbear, it sure is nice to get to know the pipes you

own. Some of mine are just coming into blossom. A mountain laurel hand-carved bent ball has taken a long,

long time to break in, and now that it has, I discovered I can pass a pipe cleaner all the way through. It has

carvings of a mountain laurel tree/shrub on the bowl, and a hawk overhead, in line drawings. It was made by

Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., who does really distinctive pipes for reasonable prices. You sort of know a Perry

when you see one.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
"it is our destiny as pipe smokers. Don't try and fight it, accept it and revel in it"
Thanks Harris, that eases my mind, kinda. At least I know why I start to hyperventilate and scratching when I see a pipe that I like the looks of. I was the guy who had one pipe for 40 years, and in the past year I've done my damnest to catch up.
After my wife did an inventory of my tobaccos, I figure I'm set for about 5 years (unless there is a sale that I just can't pass up). And to think I use to complain about the antiques she would drag home.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
PG, never complain about what she buys and she can never complain about your pipes and tobacco. Also, go antiquing with her and smile the whole time.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Antique stores make me fart. Don't know why, can't help it - but I do smile and try to look innocent.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Antique stores are amazing places to find pipes, racks...all kinds of great stuff. Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.