PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I shouldn't really be buying any more pipes, but at $37 I couldn't resist this GBD "Seventy-Six" edition bulldog. It even came with the original box. Member Weezel gifted me a "Seventy-Six" Rhodesian (#9676)last year, so this will make a good rack mate. The "Seventy-Six" line was started in 1976 to celebrate the US Bicentennial. They were reportedly made from "Virgin" grade briar. It looks to be in pretty decent shape and should clean up nicely. Restoration pictures to follow.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
[/quote] Cool. I have a Seventy=Six bent bulldog that I like alot. Enjoy it.
Neat; I love a bent bulldog. Pop up a pix of yours please. There cant be many Seventy-Six pipes out there. I rarely see them on ebay

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here is probably the best GBD page:

http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html
Pipepedia's page on history is also pretty thorough:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=GBD

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That should clean up nicely papipeguy. If you don't have the equipment, feel free to send it down my way. My refurb buddy told me Walker Briarworks had some brass GBD rondels recast and for sale.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The GBD 2006 Seventy-Six showed up on Friday and I finished it this weekend. Nothing real dramatic, just a grimy bowl and a heavily oxidized stem, thankfully free of any bite marks.
Once the grime was removed, the pipe revealed a beautiful polished bowl top and a nice piece of briar. I did the usual ream with Everclear and sea salt, than the bowl was buffed with Tripoli>White Diamond>Carnuba wax. The stamping on the Seventy-Six side is weak but very legible. My other Seventy-Six pipe also has a very shallow name stamp. Here's a shot of it soaking which shows the bowl top nicely:

The stem was soaked in Oxylcean, than sanded with 2000 grit wet paper followed by the five final grades of micromesh. I topped it off with plastic polish.
Here's the finished pipe and box. Which is for a Seventy-Six pipe, but a 9438....oh well. I'm looking forward to smoking this one and it's a handsome addition to my rack.

Next up papipeguys matching Seventy-Six

Status
Not open for further replies.