PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
My first briars arrived over the course of this week. They're all estates and whilst nothing special compared to most of the pipes on here it's the start if my herd.
An unsmoked made in the republic of Ireland Peterson Kapruf 80s. The first bowl was nothing short of horrible but then I've read that Peterson can be nasty to break in.

IMG_3498_zps21c1204a.jpg

I also bought a pair of Stanwell estates from a well known seller, I've got no idea of what model they are but I thought they looked good!
Made in Denmark and dated 2001

IMG_3495_zpsc8c7afe0.jpg

Marked A-Turen 1997

IMG_3493_zpsb39dd184.jpg

And lastly the only estate that I had to clean, an Orlik hurricane pipe from the 50's or 60's I believe. I'd just had a delightful bowl of Skiff in the pipe before I took the pic

IMG_3490_zps4b732160.jpg

As a complete aside I also recieved an old split cane rod too, I love my fishing! I've just finished making a couple of sets of floats, I believe you call them bobbers?, so I'll be out at the weekend trotting for barbel and chub. Life is good :D

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Congrats on your acquisitions drennan. I especially like the Peterson bulldog. I just love that shape. Mine is a Kaywoodie that I got at an antique store. It was heavily caked and used, but not in bad shape. It smokes pretty well. Stay with it and get that bulldog tamed! :wink:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats on some fine acquistions! And a cane rod to boot - life is being good to you!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
It is all relative to how they look and smoke to you, my friend, price tags do not matter if you are happy with what you are smoking, whether $10 or $1000.
Nice pipes, i think they all look good, sans the Orlik just bc it is not my style. I would be proud to own any of them. Enjoy and happy puffing/fishing!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
drennan, looking good, great start on your collection.
numbersix is our official Peterson break in guy, so send your Peterson to him and he will smoke it until it is perfectly broken in and you won't have to deal with some of the not so great smokes. He does this for free and even sends you a pound of your favorite blend for no charge. is he a great guy or what? :rofl:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
numbersix is our official Peterson break in guy, so send your Peterson to him and he will smoke it until it is perfectly broken in and you won't have to deal with some of the not so great smokes. He does this for free and even sends you a pound of your favorite blend for no charge. is he a great guy or what?
lol! As the official apologist for Peterson pipes, I thank you. :puffy:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Drennan,
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first set of pipes. Give it a month or so and you will acquire another, maybe two. Then by Fourth of July you will have acquired another and 2-3 Missouri Meerschaum cobs. Of course by Labor Day you will treat yourself to something you couldn't resist and by......
Get the hint pal???? PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder) is a bitch.
I look forward to hear how your pipes smoke for you.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to the forum Drennan! Great set of pipes - I particularly like the 2001 Stanwell. I also have a hurricane pipe from the 1930s which came up wonderfully after I had it restored. I carry it with me and use it in the wind and rain. That pipe reminds me why briar is such a special wood - strong, durable, and beautiful when cared for.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.