Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
my new Tinsky..

TINSKY_POKER.jpg

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
And mine.
Lawrence I think we have different tastes some times. Looks like this is right up a common alley.
Beautiful pipe Bullwinkle.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
This pipe is on it's way to me.
Commissioned from an American artisan pipe maker.
Any guesses who the carver is?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bull, that's a great looking pipe! It's not hard to understand why they call it a "disorder". Who wouldn't be compelled to snatch-up that one, regardless of whether they really needed another pipe.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Thanks Cigar.
So far so great.
I was trying to be all sneaky. But Phil immediately guessed (he cheated though). It's crafted by Tim George, our very own RafterTRG.
Just great work. Delrin tenon, a delrin sleeve, and great drilling. A falcon extra thin pipe cleaner practically falls through the airway.
Not only a well carved and finished pipe but it's guts are done right.
I'm going to spend some time getting to know it and then post or blog about the whole experience from initial discussions, the concept, the collaboration, Tim's service and personal touch etc.
It's far and away the best pipe I own. Of course its competition is some old cobs, a couple Pete's and my own cherry cobblers. But I suspect I won't find a pipe that smokes better. I did my level best to make it gurgle. Refused to clean it during a long smoke with wet tobacco. Over-smoked it (Don't worry Tim I didn't heat it way up)and not one hint of a gurgle. The damned thing must be defective. Because I thought a pipe was supposed to gurgle.
And as an added benefit I can use it to ward of muggers, anti-smokers, and other vermin. It's a good sized and heavy built pipe. Not too heavy. It's comfortable. But it has the feel that you could easily drive nails with it and it would stand up just fine.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Jonesing and Bull... great pipes guys! They could both be front and center in my collection.
I don't know Tim George, but after seeing his work would like to.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
JC:
PM him. (RafterTRG)
Very nice fella and based on the pipe he made me, and what I sense about your tastes in pipes you'd be very pleased with his work.
"Commisioning" a pipe was really fun. When the mood strokes I'll write a blog about the experience.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks, Jonesing. Glad it is working out so far. I am a pipemaking newbie but I enjoy it and have learned a few things at least from an obsession that I acquired only a year or so after starting to smoke pipes. (Looks like some of you are headed in the same direction!).
By the way, I do make some non-chunky pipes but the idea was to make a rustic-looking western poker for my fellow Texan Jonesing. We are not too subtle down here.
Tim

handcraftedpipes.com

Status
Not open for further replies.