PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
Hello again folks, recently I've been having some issues. When I was even more of a rookie than I am now, I managed to smoke a whole bowl, down to mostly ash and some bits of unburnt baccy. Then somehow any tobacco I put in started tasting weird, number of relights increased. Tonight, I gravity packed some Star of the East, and smoked without any souring, 2 relights and maximum joy. Could packing too tight have been the culprit here?
PS: I know smoking speed, proper cleaning and other factors are important, but gravity packing seems to have corrected the majority of my issues.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
067981089127-7.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
I think there's just too many variables to come to any broad conclusions.
Of course, you can't gravity pack coins of Escudo and if you can't get air out of the pipe then you won't be able to smoke it, but I've had good bowls with moderate restriction from packing and good bowls with a loose pack.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I understand your point frozenchurchwarden.
So, to rephrase my original post, could packing too tight and having a certain albeit underdeveloped technique effect the flavor?

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Just remember this one bit of advice. If someone suggests you use a three step process to pack your pipe just walk away and shake your head son. Just walk away.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No doubt. It's something that's best done by "feel." You sorta know, after awhile, if it is packed well for that specific blend and pipe.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The 3 step process is pretty universal in pipe smoking when starting. Once you get the hang of it then you can start the fast pack. It should also be like sipping a soda through a straw when the pipe is properly packed.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Is the three step no out of favor? I've used what is basically the three step method for over 50 years. Is there a reason to change? Am I doing something wrong? Perish the thought that putting the bowl in the pouch and stuffing a bit of blend into the bottom of the bowl with a gentle tamp and twist with the finger tip, then a bit more tobacco in the bowl repeating the tamp and a last layer with a tamp and spin should stop working so well. Large bowls do get a last layer to top off. What am I doing wrong? Incidently, I do this with all cuts and all bowls unless filling from a tin. Same thing though, just pop a bit of blend in, tamp with a gentle turn of the finger and repeat until the bowl is filled. Each layer gets a bit more pressure with the tamp and twist.
New smokers should check the draw with each layer for a while until they can fill by feel alone. Nothing arcane about it, just takes a bit of time to learn what pressure is best. I prefer a bit of pressure with the draw.
In the end it's what works and lets you enjoy the pipe.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
What is this three step you speak of? I should find a video somewhere to see what I am doing wrong.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Randelli, it's as follows: gravity fill, tamp light, gravity fill, tamp medium, gravity fill, tamp firm. The goal is to have the bowl be loose at the bottom but tight(er) at the top.
Hakchuma, where does your aversion to that method come from? I know there are other methods but I don't think there's anything wrong with the former.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There are a couple of ways to satisfactorily load a pipe. I load in layers, the first is only lightly tamped any where from a quarter to a third of a bowl. Repeat until bowl is ready to smoke. I used to check the draw as I loaded to insure that I wasn't packing too tight.
For me this works every time now, after 50 years it should, with all cuts and blends. But, do not discount any of the other methods you will be presented with. As opposed "one way and one way only" a lot of techniques will provide for a good smoke. Just mess around see what works for you.
It's not a competition! Nor are there any tests except what works for you. If you get frustrated, step away and give some thought and try again.
Michael got in before I could and his explanation is simpler to understand.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Ah, OK, that method makes sense, and I think I do layers most of the time. Sometimes I put the bowl in the bag and just stuff it full. I haven't had a perfect bowl yet so I can't say which works best for me. I do usually have unburnt tobacco at the bottom of a dead, briary, sour bowl.

I just scoop the stuff into the bowl with my thumb, leaving it a tad loose. Then I adjust with my tamp after the initial light. I'm actually not sure how I do it. I don't even think about doing it anymore. Sometimes half way down a bowl, I start asking myself, "what was it that I packed into this pipe?" "How did I pack it?" "Who's house is this anyway?" "This is not my car, This is not my wife?" Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...
sorry, I got carried away. :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I tend to use the Frank method. Use my pipe to loosely scoop up tobacco to fill the chamber. Take a small plug between my fingers place on top and level off. Pull off any excess tobacco if it looks like it's going to be too much. Quick and easy.
All I know is whatever method works for you. I've got friends that use the 3 step and I've got friends that use the method where you dump tobacco into your hand and swirl your pipe upside down over the tobacco. Whatever works.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
The Three Step Method--

Same as it ever was.

Same as it ever was.

SAME AS IT EVER WAS!
Plugugly

Status
Not open for further replies.