PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
I haven't opened the tin yet, but have tryed to find a youtube vid on it. Came across one, where the fellow was new to it too. Hoping some one who has good experience with thing extremely curious looking stuff to give some advise. Thanks and look forward to hearing about it. Gonna wait to try it till I feel confident enough to or till I feel like putting down the Black House for one bowl!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'll chime in... I love Escudo.

First off: I don't think the "Fold and Stuff" method would be the method of choice.

The reason being is the overall assembly of the coins.

Second: I would recommend either of two methods of preparation. Both "Rub Out" and "Cube Cut" work very well.
Here is how I prepare and pack: I start by pulling it apart by layers. Then either cut with small scissors into small cubes or rub it out... that's dependent on the L factor... "Lazy". (Sometimes I will allow it to dry for a half hour or so, others I'll pack straight away.)(Using my preparation saucer as my surface I'll sometimes add a pinch of Perique when I desire a bit of extra kick.)(The dark solid center: I like to crush to a fine powder, then fluff the tobacco thoroughly to mix the center through out.)

After preparation, I gravity fill the bowl to the top and press it down very gently and gravity fill again and press a little more firmly so the bowl is loosely filled.
It can be a bit difficult to get a good "True Light", but once you have a good ember, tamp and puff/sip, tamp and puff/sip... ad infinitum... Good stuff!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
But Baron is a fold 'n stuff master ! :worship:
He tried to teach me with just regular flakes. The Baron was happily puffing, while my pipe kept going out. I'm a "rubout" guy with Escudo myself.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just happen to be smoking a bowl as I type. I use the cube cut method and then gravity feed in three stages. I would try this one sooner than later, to my tastes this is one of the finest blends on the market.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Mick, I will concede that FVF is better cubes than folded. Escudo is way more forgiving in that way. MacBaren Navy Flake is a good fold and stuff too.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I fold and stuff it. I'll have to try cubing it. Most of the time I just want to hurry up and get it in my pipe before I eat the coins.
Seriously does anyone else not look at them and think the word "yummy"?
Their just so beautiful in the tin...arranged like a plate of sweet spicey cookies that are just for me.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
The first time I cube cut about 1/3 into the cutting I thought "why in the world go through so much trouble?" Several puffs into the bowl I found out why!! :puffpipe:

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I usually prefer to rub out Escudo. Most of my flake I like to fold and stuff.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I cube cut and then do a light rub by just picking up clumps between my thumb and pointer finger and just kind of twisting. Works for me but as with anything pipe related, YMMV.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i normally rub the disk, then let dry out for a priod. then i load and light and tap, then relight. good luck.
mike.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
drop 2 coins in my palm and rub it around untill broken up then fill pipe and enjoy...
i smoke it in a cob.

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
Excellent everyone thank you so much. I think i will try this out this weekend. I really tied one on last night and woke up with quite a badly bitten tongue. hopefully it will be good by tomorrow so i can really taste it.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
just got mine yesterday & did kcghost method, was great & smoked well, but tonight will try the cube cut method.

BTW, thanks to everyone of superior experiences for sharing us of lesser.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I abolutely LOVE Escudo! I usually take 2-3 of the coins and carefully rub them into a ball, then twist that ball into the pipe. The only way for me to get a consistent smoke, I fail at stacking the coins, and rubbing out is just too much work ;0

Status
Not open for further replies.