PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Any tips for packing very wide ribbon cut?

I don't like to stick my finger in the bowl, but if I don't do it with this cut, the pack is too loose.
EDIT: Don't know if it's broad or coarse cut.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I had good luck using the frank method , dribble in , gravity feed loosely at first
The pinch and roll , squeeze a small plug and stuff that in ..

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Why don't you like to use your finger? I don't think I've ever packed a bowl without employing one of my digits. For broad cuts or chunky cuts, I find that, although packing is important, I also have to alter my lighting technique and cadence to get a good smoke, relative to ribbon cuts.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I find the pinch and stuff works best for broad cuts. A little twist as you're stuffing and you should be good to go.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Too many videos, I guess.

The pad is okay, but pushing with a finger just feels wrong.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To each his own. I cannot imagine loading my pipe with out digits (only). And I often stick a finger in as I am flushing the bowl and stem with hot water when I haven't smoked it all the way down.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I tried everything, finger sticking and all, and couldn't get that baccie to smoke right.
Finally, took a pair of scissors, cube cut those chunks and wide ribbons, codger scoop it and it smoked beautifully.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Finding what works for you. :clap: I know some people actually run them through a coffee grinder to break them down.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't like to stick my finger in the bowl, but if I don't do it with this cut, the pack is too loose.
I'm still a noob but when I first started I followed all of the online stuff about not pushing into the bowl. I became a much happier man and enjoyed my smokes much more after I started ignoring this.
I do kind of a modified Frank method. I start by filling the bowl to the brim by gravity and tapping the side of the pipe to help consolidate things. Then I use about half the size "packet" I think I need and use my fingers to pack it level with the rim. Then I use a tamper to push things down just a little below the rim. At this point I have a loosely pack bowl. Then a charring light and a re-tamp to push things in just a little more. After this it's a light and tamp as necessary thing.
By doing the above I get nearly a full bowl but I can control things with my tamper and it also helps me avoid charring the rim of my pipe.
Rather than worrying about trying to get a completely full bowl, I just fill it less and have another bowl if I feel I need more.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Finger it. Putting your finger in the hole to pack it in is okay as long as you don't push too hard. It's when you push too hard that the shit gets packed too tight and you can't suck on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.