PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelb

Lurker
Apr 7, 2017
Hello, I just made an account for some assistance when smoking.
I started smoking pipes quite recently and when the stars align and I can get everything right, it’s blissful. However, I usually have issues with a burnt, ashy taste. I tend to smoke way too fast when packed with the recommended “soda through straw” draw trying to keep it alight. As a result, I light to much and smoke way, way too hot. So some tips on proper packing and lighting would be great!
Are there any major drawbacks to packing tight like a cigarette or cigar? Should I let the flame hover or touch when lighting? Should I tamp and then light? Or light and then tamp? Any assistance would be great, since I can’t get too much practice waiting 24 hours to re-smoke my only pipe.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Sam,
I'm a long time cigar smoker and have had a pipe for over 30 years now, but have recently (6 months or so) gotten pretty committed to the pipe.
The thing I've found, after advice here and on other forums, is to.....
1. Slow your roll. No need to have your pipe belchin out smoke like a freight train

2. Pack your pipe more loosely than you would think

3. Let the tobacco dry out a bit if it's too moist. Almost to the point that you might think it too dry.

4. Don't worry about the re-lights. Some bowls will need only one or two lights. Some other need 5 or 6. So what?
It's not a race and it's definitely not a competition.
The slower you smoke and the looser your pack the more enjoyable and flavorful the smoke
Must my $.02
dino

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Bonanzadriver just said everything there is to say! You came to the right place for help! Stick around, you will learn a lot!

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Yup - bonanzadriver's advice should be engraved somewhere! Especially I appreciate his point 4: the most satisfying bowls I have often involve an ashtray full of spent matches.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The most crucial factor in my opinion is Bonanza's point 3. Wet tobacco simply will not smoke, it must be dried to some degree to get it to burn. What that degree is depends on the smoker.
I personally like mine almost but not quite crispy dry but then I do tend to smoke a lot of thickly cut flakes and plugs where the outer may feel bone dry but internally it is still moist.
Experiment and you will get there, that's what we all had to do.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cosmic linked this one a while back, and it shows what is in my view the easiest and most effective way to enjoy a pipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8Sfg6EH9k

Aug 14, 2012
Bonanza said it. I have been smoking for 61 years and still can't load a bowl perfectly. Just stuff it in, not too tight, not too wet.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The simple fact is that water does not burn. The damper the tobacco, the more steam you are driving off, which continually is trying to put out the fire as you struggle to keep it lit.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Thank you, Paul. It all originally started out just trying to get the picture to look right on the avatar. His hair stuck out sort of crazy so I gave him a haircut. Toned down the bright colour of his smoking jacket. Then I got the idea to play with his smoke and the rest is history. I'm glad others are enjoying it as much as I am at trying to keep it an ongoing set of ever-changing comedic ideas. The world needs more people with a sense of humor that don't take themselves too seriously!
As to what foggymountain said, I tend to agree. Some people try to making packing a very complicated science; I just stuff it in, not too tight, kinda dry, and light judiciously and tamp as needed along the way. Just keep it burning.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
samuelb, I'm new at this wonderful hobby as well and still struggle, but in a relaxing and meditative way, to find the Cadbury secret of pipe loading. I am trying different methods to see which one fits me. I appreciate any frustration you may feel at times and even today was thinking that maybe I need to pour the tobacco out into a neat pile, hold my pipe upside down and WWF body slam it to obtain the correct loading density :). What I have found helping me on my quest is to teach myself to sip and 'breath-smoke'. I pace myself at a steady cadence of 3 breathes as I've seen on youtube, and then puff gently, then repeat. It has noticeably increased my smoking duration and helped keep the bowl cool.

I'm still learnin' and have to relight often, but I relights are just that and no big deal.

Each time I find that I'm tasting the tobacco and smoking is more enjoyable than the previous experience.

Hang and don't give up, few things are better than pleasuring yourself with a pipe.
Tb

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My secret- be it Cadbury or Ghiradelli— is to dry the tobacco well. It's hard to over pack or tamp when it's on the dry side. And it smokes nicely, too. May the dryth be with you!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sounds to me like you're 'resting' your only pipe for 24 hrs after ea. smoke?

Practice makes perfect, and repeatedly smoking a pipe has been accomplished by millions for decades without too much difficulty.

Ya, as you're learning, you do tend to soak things up what with drooling into your stem or puffing too fast and generating steam that you suck into your mouth.

Keep practicing.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
1. Dry your tobacco some. 2. Pack light

3. Tamp lightly

4. Don't worry about relights.

5. Smoke slow. ;-)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sam here's a tip for a beginner, slid a pipe cleaner in the pipe before you load, load your pipe and then pull pipe cleaner out. You will make a small pocket that will let you draw better. After some practice you won't need the pipe cleaner. Yes dry tobbaco is a must.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I evolved on my own after starting with the three step method, and settled on the practices mentioned above. All good advice. Just gravity/load it light, and afer last "drop" I tamp it down. The lightly packed pipe smokes way better for me. Take the time to properly dry if necessary. Last night I had some too wet St. James Flake, as I was in a hurry, and it was good but not great, as it should have been if I had just waited for it to dry a bit. Don't be hasty as the Ents say.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
This is what I found useful as a beginner:
1. Dry the tobacco more than you think. It varies from blend to blend but for ribbon cut I dry 1-2 hours, for flake even overnight.

2. Create an air pocket at the end of the bowl. I found very easy to accomplish this using brass pipe screens (it works very well).

3. Do not use the 3 step packing method as particularly in beginners tend to make them to overpack. Instead try to use to palm method, you put the tobacco in the palm of your hand and then swirling the bow over it will fill by itself. It is virtually impossible to overpack in this way and it is actually nice to see how to bowl fills in this way.

4. Tamp light just using the weight of the tamper but not putting any extra pressure. Also when there is some ash you can use your finger to tamp and move the unburnt tobacco toward the center, you have more tactile control with your finger.

5. When it looks it is going to die you can often bringing back to life covering with your fingers the bowl while puffing.

6. Do not overpuff and do not get concerned if it dies, it is ok to relight, do not concentrate too much to avoid relight.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
^What they said!

I am still learning too but all I can say is that it will come to you naturally.

So all the patience and practice will definitely pay off!

Status
Not open for further replies.